RE: Discussing security model of sysapps

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 18:42:31 -0400
To: POTONNIEE Olivier <olivier.potonniee@gemalto.com>, GALINDO Virginie <virginie.galindo@gemalto.com>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Cc: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, Wonsuk Lee <wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com>, "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>

On April 1, 2014 at 5:30:50 PM, POTONNIEE Olivier (olivier.potonniee@gemalto.com) wrote:
> Sorry, I was not trying to be abstract.

I know you weren't, was just pre-empting :)

> What I can't see in any specifications is:
>
> As a web application developer, I want to provide an installable application that users
> can download an install on their device. How should I package my application in an interoperable
> way?

You are correct. Apart from [1], this is vendor specific right now.

As I've proposed previously, pulling section 5 "Zip Archive" from [1] would suffice (or simply referencing it from somewhere).

Then using the manifest spec [2], would give you 95% of what you need. The missing 5% is adding an "origin" member to the manifest to enable the package app to be CORS-compatible.

> Or from the other side:
>
> As a web application user, I browse to an online page that offers an installable web application.
> How can I (or the browser) download this application and install it on my device in an interoperable
> way?

Yes, you are again correct that the group has no spec for this. Again, [1] + [2] could be used, but [1] would need to be modified to support the JSON format instead of XML.

The greater question is why would one do that? Why not just "install/bookmark/add-to-homecreen" the web page (and let service workers deal with offline). This is where we land back at the APIs - but most of the APIs we are defining here would not be available to any random "online page".

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/
[2] http://w3c.github.io/manifest/