Re: [runtime] Privileged Applications Extensions spec proposal

From: Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:01:10 +0000
To: "public-sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>, "Min, Hongbo" <hongbo.min@intel.com>
Hi Hongbo, All,

On Jun 21, 2013, at 6:02 AM, "Min, Hongbo" <hongbo.min@intel.com> wrote:

>> All - should you have concerns with this proposal (see the pull request above),
>> please speak up on the list or in the PR comments.
>
> Is it necessary for ApplicationManagment to add 'onupdateavailable' event?
> In that sense, web app could call 'applyUpdate' if onupdateavailable gets triggered. Otherwise, it seems there is any hint to call apply update.

Hongbo - it sounds like the updateState attribute [1] might address your use case:

[[

updateState of type DOMString, readonly

[...]

If there is an application update available, it is not being installed, nor downloaded, nor downloading, the attribute must return "available". Otherwise, the attribute must return the empty string.

]]

And if we'd add a change event handler for it an app developer would not need to poll the attribute. I added a note to the PR [2] we may want to move updateState to ApplicationManagement and should consider adding an event handler for it.

All - do you have concerns with the updateState attribute and associated event handler (or an equivalent based on Promises) being exposed to privileged apps only?

Thanks,

-Anssi

[1] http://anssiko.github.io/runtime/index.html#widl-Application-updateState
[2] https://github.com/sysapps/runtime/pull/105