Re: Proposal for a Runtime and Security Model FPWD

On 20/02/13 19:46, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 at 19:26, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
>> Maybe one way forward is to make sure that we get a FPWD. Then we can
>> add names to the document as we start getting patches for that draft
>> document. Again, I want to be clear that I'm happy to add anyone as
>> editor as soon as we have active contributions to the spec text from
>> them. The list of editors is by no means unchangable after the FPWD.
>> It's just as easy to add editors after FPWD as it is before.
>

> This sounds good, but I would like to see us establish a process for submitting patches. For example, I would like to see the specification in it's own Github repository, and, for traceability, commits only be made via pull request. This will encourage reviews of changes from the specification editors.
>
> Christophe and I experimented with this model for the Alarm API, and we found that it works quite well. See:
>
> https://github.com/cdumez/sysapps/pull/1
>
> Where I sent him the revised text as a pull request, he reviewed and requested I fixed some things, then when he was happy as editor, he integrated my change set. This was then sent as a pull request for integration into the main sys apps repository.
>
> I would kindly ask that we decide on one or two "integrators" for the Runtime spec (or "Editors in Chief"), who are in charge of making sure that any proposed patches have been reviewed, proof read, and have consensus before being merged into the main document. Co-editors can then work off their own branches and do pull requests as they feel fit.
>
> This will also allow us to make better use of Github's issue tracker (yes, it's not great, but it will do), plus it encourages more public participation/review.

I fully agree with that and that is the system I wanted to do for the
Messaging API (me sending PR to Eduardo). However, I think it's is a bit
of overhead to push from Contributor to Editor to SysApps. It would be
better if the main editor of each spec was given write access on the
main sysapps repository so they could merge PR directly. We need Adam
and Wonsuk agreement for that though. This said, I will start another
thread regarding process, better to not digress too much ;)

Cheers,
--
Mounir