Re: WebIDL to Anolis source?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Kis, Zoltan <zoltan.kis@intel.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry to bother you with a productivity issue.
>
> In [1] Anolis is recommended for generating the specifications from a
> raw .src.html file.
> This would be fine, but one important step is missing: from me to the
> Anolis source. It is extremely inconvenient to write the Anolis
> src.html files in text editor. It is a total aberration and a crime
> against human eyes to write specifications like this, it's unreadable
> and needs many times more time to write, or find and correct
> something. For younger eyes this may be OK, but for me it's
> unbearable. Using ReSpec is better, but not by much.
>
> I would like to write WebIDL code with Doxygen-like comments and
> annotations, and would need a tool for generating the Anolis src.html
> from this. These are equivalent information.
>
> I think it would be possible to do this with widlproc (by generating
> XML out of WebIDL by widlproc and then HTML from XML by xsltproc,
> based on a HTML template). We used to use this for generating the
> Tizen Web API specifications, and worked fine. We'd need a template
> for W3C/Anolis, and it should work in a similar way.
>
> Does anyone have a better solution to this problem?
> I can't believe everyone is writing source text for Anolis/W3C, so
> likely there is (?) a solution.

I had a similar issue with using Anolis for the CSSOM spec. What I ended up
doing was using WebIDL as the source, along with use of [Documentation]
extended attributes. I wrote a small pre-processor that uses Robin's
webidl.js and html5.js running in node.js to accomplish this. While this
pre-processor is neither complete nor documented, it is one possible
approach you might consider, and feel free to use code under [1] (see
README) if you wish.

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/file/tip/cssom