Re: Telephony API draft

Hello,

The record feature in this API only mirrors that the dialer UI has to know
whether the user wants the call recorded from the beginning, or not. It was
meant as a UI option which is then conveyed to the implementation.

About accessing the streams... The Telephony API currently only handles
signaling.
[ Next, we planned to add conference support.
Next, I wish to support for handsfree gateways, multiple SIM cards and
different telephony services. I have a draft prepared for discussion.
Although this could handle most VoIP use cases too, let's discuss that
later and separately. ]

Next, stream support may be added. Note that this is missing from telephony
middleware such as oFono, but it is present in VoIP middleware like
Telepathy/Farstream. For telephony, we arguably don't really need access to
the streams, except for toggling eventual local recording - and only this
is supported for now.

For VoIP, I was thinking to use MediaStream. However, there are some audio
management details to be sorted out before I'd make a proposal.
Once we add support for accessing the streams, then yes, recording could be
supported via the MediaStream interface.

Do you think we should take out for now the recording feature? It could be
seen as a convenience function for the developers. My thinking was that the
Telephony API should facades most means to dialer developers supporting the
typical dialer UI designs, and the binding implementations would connect
the dots.
This is not minimalistic, but IMO it's simpler for developers.

Best regards,
Zoltan