Re: Updated charter proposal

Hi Adam,

some notes below.

On Jun 3, 2012, at 11:19 , Adam Barth wrote:
> In addition to fixing a couple typos, I've removed the term "browse-by
> web" as discussed in
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sysapps/2012May/0028.html>.

I like the new terminology better, thanks.

> The notable exceptions are Sensors, Calendar, and Contacts, all of
> which are deliverables for the Device APIs working group.  I'd like to
> avoid (or at least delay) a "territory" fight with that working group.

[Putting my DAP chair hat on]

You won't get into territory fights with DAP over those, quite the contrary. In fact, what motivated the initial work on the SysApps charter was precisely because participants in DAP were frustrated that they could not work on system-level APIs for those deliverables. The expectation is that SysApp's version of these specs would be very different from DAP's, with overlap only in object descriptions.

If people on this list don't want to handle these APIs, that's a perfectly receivable outcome — it's entirely up for all of you to speak up and say. But the risk of a "territory fight" should not be the decisive factor because it's not a genuine threat.

In fact *all* of SysApps is former DAP territory ;-) We're just looking at a reboot in a context that has evolved since DAP's initial days and is hopefully more amenable to success.