Re: SimpleProcess, some suggestions

On May 21, 2005, at 3:39 AM, Daniel Elenius wrote:
> How about...
>
> 1) Changing the name of SimpleProcess to AbstractProcess
> 2) Removing the expandsTo property
> 3) Changing the range of realizedBy to Process
>
> Is there any credible scenario where we want to have one atomic and
> one composite process linked to the same simple (abstract) process?

Sure. Any HTN planning (if it is going to use Simple/AbstractProcess).
One might expect it to be linked (or inferrably linked) to *many* of
each (though, technically, that's a bit of a departure from traditional
HTN...it's a departure evren's already made and implemented and it
makes a lot of sense).

?

> My suggestion means there could be different degrees of abstract-ness,
> as an AbstractProcess can be (partly) realizedBy another
> AbstractProcess. The concrete process in the end of the chain (if any)
> can be either atomic or composite.

I don't really see the credible scenario for this. I can sorta imagine
something, perhaps that would work for planning, or negotitation, or
something. But the question, in general, is why Simple Processes at
all. Presumably, they are meant to help us make "templates"...I can see
wanting to refine or abstract the template...but wouldn't it be better
to do it with actual descriptions (e.g., profiles) that woudl have an
actual semantic relation (instead of a mere asserted one?)

I guess asserted ones can help, but it's worth thinking about this
careful and grounding it in actual practice so we don't perpetuate the
SimpleProcess unspecification.

Cheers,
Bijan.