Re: Question about namespace

Tatiana Vieira escreveu:
> Hi people,
>
> As the topic here is namespace, let me ask a question. If a namespace
> isn't necessarily an URL (it isn't necessary to be a physical location),
> how can anyone discover the concepts declared in an ontology? I mean,
> how can I use a specicified vocabulary defined in any place in Web if
> I can't find it?
>
> And, also, how can we be sure that namespaces will not conflict, I mean,
> that two diferent users will not put an igual namespace for different
> documents?

URIs are divided in two categories: URLs and URNs. The URL adoption can
be controlled by the URL owner, for example, my lab has an URL:
http://www.lis.ic.unicamp.br, and any sub-URL is agreed by the lab
members. Additionally, I have a personal URL inside the lab
http://www.lis.ic.unicamp.br/~santanch, then I can decide the sub-URLs.

However, I prefer the use of URNs that are not restricted to a physical
location, and can be directed to any URL you want. There are many URN
services. You could, for example, take your own URN for free in
http://www.purl.org/. The server guarantees that nobody will take the
same URN given to you.

> Thank you in advance,
> Tatiana.