Re: Question about namespace

André, Tatiana,

please see TimBL's view [1] on the distinction of URNs and URLs, please
note that the Web Architecture [2] doesn't distinguish between such
categories and please see section 1.1.3 or the definition of URI (RFC
3986 [3]) that suggests that the distinction is not so clear and that
the generic term URI should be used instead.

In short, the distinction between URNs and URLs is not clear,
furthermore it's useful for URNs to be resolvable (to be URLs) and it's
also useful for URLs to be persistent (to be URNs). Both are useful for
usability of the Web and for fulfilling of the normal person's
expectations: that bookmarks will work for some considerable time and
that any URI, when put in the address bar of a browser, will give me
something useful.

Also, the point below that URNs are not restricted to a physical
location is somewhat dubious, as purl.org certainly does have a physical
location. What purl.org provides is indirection, a known way to increase
persistence, but one doesn't need purl.org for that.

Finally, there is a urn: URI scheme and URIs in this scheme don't
necessarily contain any physical host information, which may make them
more persistent but it makes them a lot less useful when someone sees
such a URI for the first time.

Please consider using the term URI and making your http: URIs
persistent. 8-)

Hope it helps,