Re: granularity/definition of a "service"

One potential representation is in the form of the following stack
(moving downward, you can read this as a level "has one more more" level
below, which "has one ore more", etc.):

- Choreography
- Process
- Service
- Activity
- Module

But this is just one of multiple possibilities.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

Pranam Kolari wrote:

> >> Specifically, the other services that WSDL declares:
> >> receive ( one-way operation)
> >> receive, reply ( two-way )
> >> pick, onMessage (one/two-way)
> >> event, messageHandlers (one/two-way)
> >

> > So communication primitives can indeed be classified as services as
> > per BPEL ?
> >

> >> Note that "invoke" is not part of WSDL since it is used by the
> >> composition to invoke external web services and is not
> >> a provided service by the composition. Ofcourse one could argue that
> >> certain "invokes: could be one-way operations
> >> reporting to external entities.
> >>
> >> So in this sense, a subset of activities (combination of activities)
> >> are services as they serve clients.
> >

> > I agree that a combination of activities can indeed represent a
> > service, but would an individual activity like for example <receive>
> > be classified as a service?
>
> I would say a <receive> alone is a service if it represents a one-way
> operation  in the BPEL composition. <receive> can also be accompanied
> with a corresponding <reply> in which case both of them put together is
> a service. A subset of activities ( and a combination of activities) are
> services based on the way they serve clients.
>
> -- Pranam
>
> Pranam Kolari
> Department of Computer Science
> University of Maryland, Baltimore County
> Baltimore, MD 21250
>
> Contact:
> (Work) +1 410 455 3971 :---: (Home) +1 410 536 4772
> kolari1@cs.umbc.edu    :---: http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~kolari1

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Associate