Re: [owl-s] communication between web services

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:33:15PM +0200, jean-michel nougayrede wrote:
> > > For example there is a web service A which sells a product P and
> > > then connect to another web service B in order to ship the product P.
> > > But the web service A doesn't know the web service B which can do
> > > the shipping. The web service A searches on the web in order to find
> > > one, and when it finds one, it uses it.
> > > But the problem is that the web service A doesn't know what are the
> > > functions to be called and with which arguments and in which order.
> >
> > It would make sense to use the WDSL description of the service.
> >

> I don't understand how we can automatize an execution of a web service with
> a WSDL description because I don't understand how a web service can
> understand a WSDL file.

It can't, you're right.  IMO, Web services are unsuitable for the
problem of ad-hoc communication without prior agreement, like the one
you're trying to solve.  Instead, I'd recommend just using the Web, as
it separates interface from type.  In this way, A, as an HTTP agent,
need only be given the URI of B in order to be able to get data from
it (GET) or submit data to it for processing (POST - which is probably
what you want).

Mark.