	From: public-sws-ig-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-sws-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of sam.watkins@bt.com
	Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 7:24 AM
	To: public-sws-ig@w3.org
	Subject: RE: ambiguous match and business transaction

	If we have "service insurance" as described by Joe,
	"I see you did not receive a response on the above point yet:
What this comes down to is electronic trust, and potentially SLAs
(service-level agreements). For example, Web Service A is provided by a
service provider (that we will call Service Provider A). The service
consumer would need to have an SLA with Service Provider A that makes
Service Provider A responsible for the authenticity and non-harmful
nature of Web Service A.

	What is missing in this is something that I foresee a need for
in the future - and that is some type of insurance policy (call it
"service insurance") by which a service provider can be held liable for
damages by a service that they offer (whether the damages be theft of
personal information as you describe above, or interruption to business
operations if a service is down for longer than the agreed-upon
permissible time, etc.). A service consumer would then be entitled to
some monetary award by filing a claim with the service insurance
provider. This is an incentive for a service provider to ensure the
authenticity, non-harmfulness, and dependability of their services. I
foresee the existence of this new type of insurance provider within the
next 10 years.

	An e-business registry - such as UDDI or ebXML Registry - might
also be involved here. In this case, the service consumer would have an
SLA with the registry provider, who vouches for the authenticity,
non-harmfulness, and dependability of the services within its registry."

	However, as with any business transaction, I protect myself by
using trust worthy suppliers so will not require such insurance.  I do
not trust businesses until I have established trust.

	[JMC] What does "trust" really mean? Let's suppose I buy a new
car from an auto dealer. I may not have dealt with that dealer before
(as I only buy a new car every 5-7 years or so), so there is not really
a "trust" relationship. If someone I trust (for example, a friend)
recommended the dealer, I might have a higher level of trust in the
dealer. However, I might have a high degree of trust in the auto
manufacturer (for example, I like Toyotas because they are highly
dependable). But that does not mean that the car will last for 5-7 years
without anything breaking - hence the need for a warranty (which is not
really equivalent to insurance, but we can perhaps draw somewhat of a
parallel). The warranty is a mechanism by which I am protected against
car equipment failure.

	[JMC] Also, what if a company one "trusts" is subject to a
situation (such as the unavailability of a service) that affects one's
business operations? Trusting the company does not automatically negate
the possibility of such situations occurring. I believe this goes beyond
trust.

	Kind Regards,
	Joe Chiusano
	Booz Allen Hamilton

	Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World

	As such, I would not insure myself against this loss as an
individual.
	As a supplier I would aim to only deal with companies I knew and
trusted - and I certainly would not request or pass on credit card
details unless I were using them.  So again I would not buy such
insurance.

	Anyway, with a credit card, I would expect that any fraud of
this kind would be covered by the credit cards insurance...

	regards,
	Sam J Watkins

	Next Generation Web Research, BT
	Tel: +44(0) 1473 609636

	British Telecommunications plc
	Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
	Registered in England no. 1800000

	This electronic message contains information from British
Telecommunications plc which may be privileged and confidential. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the number or
address above) immediately. Activity and use of the British
Telecommunications plc email system is monitored to secure its effective
operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using
this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure
effective operation and for other lawful business purposes.