Release Announcement: OWL-S Editor for Protege

From: Grit Denker <Grit.Denker@sri.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:43:13 -0800
To: daml-all <daml-all@daml.org>, sws-ig <public-sws-ig@w3.org>, protege-owl <protege-owl@SMI.Stanford.EDU>, rdf-logic <www-rdf-logic@w3.org>

The OWL-S Editor for Protege, developed at SRI International, aims to
provide an intuitive and powerful environment for creating and editing
OWL-S service descriptions. The current release is an early ("alpha")
release, and we will be adding more features shortly. The source code is
released under the Mozilla Public License. Both a binary release and the
source are available at:

http://owlseditor.semwebcentral.org/

We are eager to get user feedback! Future release announcements will be
posted to our own mailing list.

Some of the  main features are:

- Visual drag and drop composite process editor.  (This functionality
utilizes the GraphViz package, and some of the code is based on earlier
work by Randy Washington at DCS Corporation).

- Graphical overview of the main parts of the OWL-S ontology. See how
your Service/Process/Profile/Grounding instances relate to one another.

- WSDL Import. Generate a skeletal OWL-S description automatically from
a WSDL file. (This functionality utilizes Mindswap's wsdl2owls code).

- Developed as a plugin to Protege, so it is easy to browse the domain
ontologies that your OWL-S services use.

- Supports ALL properties of OWL-S.

- Loads existing OWL-S descriptions, making it easy to get an overview
of complicated service structures and process models.

In progress are, among other things, an Input/Output/Precondition/Result
manager, support for easily adding data flow declarations, visualizing
dataflow in the process graph, exporting the graphs to various file
formats, a lot of UI improvements, and more. We are also working on a
user manual/tutorial.

Happy thanksgiving!
-The OWL-S Editor team