Re: OWL-S version 1.1 now available

From: Ian Dickinson <ian.dickinson@hp.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:22:13 +0000
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org

Daniel Elenius wrote:
>> * also in section 5.4, there seems to be no syntactic difference
>> between ControlConstructBag and ControlConstructList, so why not just
>> make one a sub-class of the other?
> But there is a *semantic* difference, i.e. the bag should not be
> interpreted as ordered.
Yes, I understand that such is the intent. I was just pointing out that
there's no semantic or syntactic difference at the RDF level. In OWL
terms, the ccBag and ccList classes are co-extensional.  Any semantic
difference derives from an owl-s -aware processor being programmed to
recognise those names and treat them specially.

> Then again, it doesn't really hurt to have the two classes, I
> think.
Perhaps it simply suggests that some refactoring might be indicated.
There are two needs: to encode sematically meaningful distinctions (like
duplication or ordering) that *are* relevant to the interpretation of
the language, and to encode data-structures using the low-level
machinery of RDF. It may be that these are not as cleanly separated as
would be nice in a specification document.

Ian