Re: WSRF and OWL-S ?

Paul

This is a really interesting question!

I'm not going to try to answer it, just expand on I think why it's
interesting and important... )

WSRF is based on the concepts of the Open Grid Services Infrastructure,
designed to address the requirements of Grid middleware.  It is
anticipated to represent the convergence of the Web service and Grid
computing communities.

There is (some of us believe) a very strong case for the application
of Semantic Web Services in Grid middleware.  In fact this was a
subject of a discussion at the IST2004 conference this week in the
Hague.  This is part of the Semantic Grid vision (www.semanticgrid.org)

Which therefore begs a question along the lines you ask; i.e. how well
suited are SWS technologies (OWL-S, WSMO...) to the description of
Grid services (as in WSRF) - what we might call "Semantic Grid Services".

Some of the deployments of SWS in grid computing have consisted of
subsets of OWL-S applied in Web-services based solutions.  I was
conjecturing earlier this week that there are aspects of WSMO
which, on the surface at least, suggest it may be well suited to
some Grid computing scenarios (for example, separation of business
logic).

So, as you say, it would be really interesting to know if anyone is
applying semantic web services to grid services along the lines of WSRF.
In fact it would be interesting to know what people think the issues
are.

It should be possible to find some use cases.

Thanks

-- Dave