Re: [OWL-S] Parameter Types

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> We're trying to settle the issue of how to represent the type of a
> paramter of a process.
>
> Well, more precisely, we're trying to come up with something we all can
> live with for the time being :)
>
> One constraint we are trying to obey is staying in OWL DL. This is a bit
> trickier than one might think as:
>     We want inputs to be either XML Schema Data values *or* OWL Classes
>     Our Process as Instances formulation makes it very natural to relate
> a parameter to
>         a class (or datatype) which is its parameterType by a property
> called, say,         parameterType
>
> Another constraint is that we don't have a theory of execution traces at
> the moment, nor a way of relating those traces to our current process
> models. This makes things a bit trickier (since parameterTypes constrain
> the *actual* runtime bindings of steps in an execution trace).
>
> Our current representation: A Process's parameters are encoded as
> instances of Parameter, itself soon to be a subclass of Variable
> (cribbed from SWRL, I understand). Right now we have a parameterType
> property hanging off Parameter. My proposal is that we make this a
> DatatypeProperty with range xsd:anyURI (which is a builtin OWL
> datatype). We will specify (in natural language) that this URI should
> name a type constraint on the input, with OWL Classes or XSD datatypes
> being the standard form. (We'll leave unspecified what happens if it
> names an OWL individual...OWL DL respecting systems might through a type
> error, while OWL Full systems might infer that it is also a class). An
> OWL DL respecting system will have to take care to ensure that the
> appropriate properties are used in the execution trace (i.e.,
> DatatypeProperties for data, etc.).
>
> The Process ontology would be changed as so:
>
> <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="parameterType">
>   <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="#Parameter"/>
>   <rdfs:range rdf:resource="&xsd;anyURI"/>
> <!--    I generated an amusing typo here: I wrote "rdfs:rage" for
> "rdfs:range".
>     Make of it what you will :)-->
> </rowl:DatatypeProperty>

This all seems fine to me.

[aside: Would you like me to keep the comment about "rdfs:rage" in the
new version of Process.owl?]

> This is very much a compromise position, likely to be unpalatable to
> most. The biggest authoring imposition I see for it is the need to use
> rdf:datatype, but hey, if you have cardinality constraints, you already
> are using them. Having to put a datatype uri on every typed literal is
> way annoying, though.

I don't find it annoying.  I mean, let's face it, we've clearly left
behind the idea that OWL-S (or OWL ontologies in general) are going to
be readable, and the idea that people are going to spend much time
directly editing the XML/RDF serialization.

> It's a bit crimpy for OWL Fullers, because they won't be able to infer
> some things they may have wanted to infer. But I've not seen a good set
> of axioms for parameterType yet, so I'm inclined to not-worry.

Personally I also don't find this to be a significant concern (that is,
I agree with the not-worry position), because I think it's pretty
inevitable that type-checking, validation, and other kinds of reasoning
about parameter types will rely on special-purpose code anyway.  (This
is not to say that DL reasoning won't be part of that picture, though.)

> Presumably, any reasonable OWL Full system will be able to deal with
> this representation just fine. Given the difficulty of doing data
> *validation* in OWL like languages, it's all a bit moot anyway.
>
> One alternative would be to have a richer representation at the end of
> this property. E.g., a Type object which might specify the type system
> as well, and perhaps some other constraints (e.g., to help solve the
> Decker problems by specifying soem closure conditions on the kb). I
> suspect this should be done now rather than later, although it wouldn't
> be *too* big a change.

Yes, any progress on this would be excellent, but since it's a fairly
large design space (I think) and we haven't spent much time on it yet,
I'm OK with proceeding to our next release without it.

Thanks,
David