Re: [OWL-S] Process subClassOf IntervalEvent

>At 10:19 16/01/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>>I'm unclear how the "instantaneous" nature of APs affects APs
>>executing in parallel.
>

>I don't know what NIST PSL does here... and the tight assumption its
>probably got something to do with the underlying theory.  We always
>assume any activity has finite even if very small time so other
>things can interfere.

That sounds like a density assumption, if the interference is
supposed to happen between the start and end times. That is
incompatible with most temporal DB models, be warned.

>In fact we even assume that our models are also imperfect and
>non-modelled interactions are always possible!
>
>Of course you can do nicer theoretical tings if you make the
>together assumptions... but the real world is just that - and messy.

No need to have mess where you can be tidy, though. This issue has
been gone into in unbelievable depth, and you can take your preferred
option off the shelf.  Its really about time-intervals.  First,
distinguish between atomic in the sense of having no proper
subintervals, ie not being divisible, and instantaneous in the sense
of taking up no time at all.  Not the same idea. Instant(aneous
interval)s are 'intervals' that are really pointlike, in the sense
that their beginning and ending points are the same point. It is
still possible however to distinguish an instant from a bare point,
if you want to do so: eg you might want to say that an instant, but
not a point, can be the duration of a process. Or, you can say that
they are the same thing, which gives you a simpler time-interval
theory (eg the Allen relations hold: they don't for instants because
if an instant starts an interval then it also meets it) but then you
have to either allow points to be durations (of zero length) or else
not have zero-length durations.

If you allow atoms that are not instants, then time can't be dense or
continuous: this is the 'clock-tick' view of time used by almost all
temporal DBs.  And you need to distinguish atoms from instants or
points.

All these various options are internally coherent, but you get into
muddles if you try to mix them together. They are basically views of
the structure of time, so they apply to parallel processes. I would
guess that trying to have parallel processes where the components are
described using different temporal models will cause something to
break, so would suggest deciding on a single temporal ontology first
and sticking to it.

Pat
IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell