RE: Discussion: OWL-S and Industry Adoption

Josh,

 Thanks for starting this discussion. It is very healthy.

A few quick thoughts and points of information in response to thoughts by
Josh, Evan and others in this discussion.

The question was why OWL-S has not had as much traction as rdf or OWL. One
of the answers is indeed that OWL-S is newer than OWL (and of course rdf)
and is not (yet) a standard.

Note, however, that there are many different tools that have been developed
for developing Semantic Web Services using OWL-S.

Most of them are in daml.org/services and on semWebcentral.

In addition, please find numerous on OWL-S work in www.daml.org/services.

My group's publications and project descriptions are in
www.cs.cmu.edu/~softagents

My group at CMU recently released in semWebCentral

http://projects.semwebcentral.org/projects/owl-s-ide/

an end-to-end development environment based on Eclipse that supports the
developer of services, who starts with java code, translates to wsdl, then
from wsdl to owl-s, provides editing tools for the programmer to edit the
various components of owl-s, (profile, process model and grounding) and
provide support in the service advertising in a semantic UDDI, generating
the client and invoking the service. Please download it and use it and give
us feedback.

This is not a totally automated process, but provides tools to support the
programmer. So, the point of semantic web services is not to have some magic
bullet where everything is done automatically.

Another point is that the strategy of the OWL-S coalition (ie the group that
developed OWL-S) is "Complete, do not compete"). So, as far as industry
standards is concerned, the OWL-S Grounding is layered on top of WSDL and
SOAP (by intention) so as to enable extension and enrichment of current
standards rather than competition. Another example in this vein is the CMU
OWL-S Matchmaker, which enriches UDDI matching with semantic matching.
Another interesting thing to note with respect to standards is that in the
UDDI Technical committee, there is serious discussion about adopting OWL for
representing product hierarchies in UDDI and also defining a semantic search
functionality for searching these hierarchies in UDDI.

Another point is that OWL-S is a community effort. So, we would like others
not only to use our tools and give us feedback but also to build upon our
efforts.

It seems to me that there is realization in industry that semantics is
needed and could be useful. Of course, it takes time for specs and new
technologies to be read, understood, absorbed and adopted. It is a humbling
thought (for the impatient) to know that it took 20 years to perfect the
design of the common paper clip.

Cheers,

Dr. Katia Sycara

Member of the OWL-S coalition