Re: Discussion: OWL-S and Industry Adoption

I generally agree with Evan's comments.  And I would add that there are
some organizational and temporal factors here.  Creating a base language
for the Semantic Web (DAML+OIL which became OWL) was the initial focus
of the DAML program, and work towards that goal significantly predated
the work on OWL-S.  Indeed, DAML+OIL was already mature when the work on
OWL-S started.  Also, as the initial focus of the program, the work on
DAML+OIL benefitted from a lot of attention and fresh energy from
several key people in the program and at W3C.  Also, the technical space
associated with services is broader and there is a broader array of
possible approaches, with less common understanding about the tradeoffs
associated with the different approaches.  Also, a good deal of
attention is currently focused on the commercial Web services
technologies, and there's already a lot there for people in commercial
environments to grapple with for the time being.

In any case, I think it's still "early days" with respect to OWL-S and
other such SWS technologies.  I think the recent W3C Workshop on
Constraints and Capabilities was extremely interesting in revealing the
real-world needs for standards that will support more expressive service
descriptions.  These needs are being felt quite urgently in some quarters.

As someone already noted, OWL-S has only just been submitted to W3C.  I
wonder if you looked at the point in time at which DAML+OIL was
submitted, if you would find there had already been significant
transition into the commercial realm at that time.  (I think not.)

In any case, the W3C team, in their response to the OWL-S submission,
has stated that they expect to have a workshop on SWS in the first half
of 2005.  Hopefully that will be a significant catalyst for things to
start moving along more rapidly.

Regards,
David Martin
SRI International