From: David Martin [mailto:martin@AI.SRI.COM]
Sent: 14 April 2004 21:17
To: Charlie Abela
Cc: Public-Sws-Ig@W3. Org
Subject: Re: Effects in OWL-S

Charlie Abela wrote:

> With all these ideas going on about preconditions and effects in OWL-S it
is
> quite difficult to capture the general idea of how to define actual
effects
> in WSs.
>
> I had the impression that an effect was something that will become true
when
> the WS has executed but that also brought some changes to the world, but
now
> there is talk of making use of post-condition instead. Actually from the
> readings that I found, these two words seem to be used interchangeably,
> depending on the research context, and thus I always presumed that they
are
> somewhat synonymous.
>
> What are the views of the OWL-S ppl on this? Cause with all these somewhat
> radical changes being proposed it is quite difficult to get people to
> actually make use of these ontologies.

Hi Charlie -

I don't view the recent questions / suggestions (raised by me mostly) as
radical.  They're mainly part of an effort to get greater clarity about
how the "effects" property is to be used.  This effort has come up in
the process of working on some new examples.  I sort-of suggested
renaming "effect" to "postcondition" in OWL-S (because for me
"postcondition" is more general), but that was not meant as a radical
change.  And if most people view them as synonymous then it's not likely
that we'll make that change.

Hopefully some additional discussion on this list will lead to greater
clarity.

  Will there every be a stable set of
> OWL-S ontologies?

Sure.  I think most of the remaining "instability" has to do with these
very things - expressing preconditions and effects - and we're making
very significant progress in these areas for the next release.  (Note
also that some of the instability has to do with the ongoing evolution
of the rules language(s) that we're drawing on in these areas.)

Regards,
David