Re: UDDI and semantics

OK, this is another part of the problem.

Lets say that every UDDI entity has an RDF description attached as "RDF bag"
There is also some search API.

Should it be template or query based?
What's available at this stage for RDF?

What about those reasoning engines?
UDDI is not expeted to provide reasonong services at this stage.

Assume that the RDF bag contains a mix of RDF and OWL statements describing
a web service.
A client may run a search using a standard registry API on the predefined
search criteria.
Another client may use a reasoning engine (RE) and a relevant ontology to
find that service. Consider the following scenarios:

1. A client invokes a RE, provides search criteria and the RE queries the
registry (trying multiple different queries, I guess)
2. A client calls a RE to find out what queries might be relevant/equivalent
to these search criteria and then queries the registry (again, trying
multiple different queries)

The issue here is the performance drawback due to the multiple queries to
the registry.

Solutions that come to my mind:

1. the RE holds an index of all RDF bags from a particular registry and does
all the querying and matching internally
2. the RDF querying mechanism allows for borader term querying. E.g. the RE
figures out what terms/combinations of terms it may want to look for and
specifies them all in one query. Is it going to be prohibitively expensive
for the registry to handle them?

Any ideas?

Just a little disclaimer - I'm not an expert in semantics, RDF, OWL, etc, so
if what I say here does not really make sense, plese, feel free to say so.

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,
Max Voskob