Re: [OWL-S] Who does what?

From: Austin Tate <a.tate@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:16:56 +0000
To: David Martin <martin@ai.sri.com>
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org

At 10:41 PM 19/12/2003 -0800, David Martin wrote:
>Are you advocating a *formalized* language independent conceptual
>underpinning, or just an informal set of terminology for common reference
>in natural language uses?  Well, no doubt a formal approach is desireable
>- but is it an essential part of what you are advocating?

As we have discussed before, for SWSL I am advocating that the underlying
conceptual model be informal and used as a design principle for all the
other descriptions and formal languages - which must be related to this
model.  I have not tried to suggest a formal description of this underlying
design principle.

In our own work we use a sorted FOL to describe the activities and
constraints (we actually formalise the activities as "include activity
constraints" to make the model of a process be even more uniform).

Cheers, Austin

Prof. Austin Tate, Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute, Informatics,
University of Edinburgh, Appleton Tower, Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9LE, UK
Tel: +44 131 650 2732 Fax: +44 131 650 6513 E-mail: a.tate@ed.ac.uk