Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

From: Mithun Sheshagiri <mits1@csee.umbc.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:42:24 -0500 (EST)
To: Ugo Corda <UCorda@SeeBeyond.com>
Cc: <public-sws-ig@w3.org>

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Ugo Corda wrote:

> At 13:54 -0500 12/17/03, Jim Hendler wrote:
>
> > all the useful tools I know of are human in the loop and partial-mapping based
> [...]
> > cross ontology reasoning is the thing that makes Semantic Web different from all
> > other AI ontology work to date
>
> These statements make a lot of sense to me. At the same time, they do
not sound very encouraging as far as the Semantic Web is concerned.

I have heard this before. Well, the problem of ontology mapping was not
introduced by the semantic web. Its been around for a very long time.
Its just that the semantic web has brought it the fore front.

i> Unless the Semantic Web limits itself to a fairly small set of
"canonical" ontologies (which is highly unlikely, given the open-ended nature of the Web itself), then the need of having humans in the loop seems to indicate that cross ontology reasoning within the Semantic Web is a very impractical goal right from the start.