Re: Cross-ontologies reasoning

At 13:54 -0500 12/17/03, Jim Hendler wrote:

> all the useful tools I know of are human in the loop and partial-mapping based
[...]
> cross ontology reasoning is the thing that makes Semantic Web different from all
> other AI ontology work to date

These statements make a lot of sense to me. At the same time, they do not sound very encouraging as far as the Semantic Web is concerned.

Unless the Semantic Web limits itself to a fairly small set of "canonical" ontologies (which is highly unlikely, given the open-ended nature of the Web itself), then the need of having humans in the loop seems to indicate that cross ontology reasoning within the Semantic Web is a very impractical goal right from the start.

Ugo