Re: results of Semantic Web application survey available

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:44:23 +0200
To: benjamin.heitmann@deri.org
Cc: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, W3C SWEO IG <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>
Benjamin,

very interesting!

Did you also try to find out which of these applications are more than
just research prototypes and are also deployed for real use, at least in
a prototypical phase? Certainly not all of them are (these projects are
very often bound to somebody's PhD, and the project stops once the
funding runs out and/or the PhD is finished).

The reason I am asking is that we are collecting use cases and case
studies for the SWEO:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/

but our goal is to use these to convince companies, investors, big
institutions, etc, that the SW can give them a technology where they can
either make money or (say, for a government institution) they can
significantly improve their operations. In this setting a purely
university project does not really fly unless really deployed (and can
even backfire; one of the messages that one still gets is that the SW is
 purely an academic project of no interest for industry...)

So: do you think any entry of those would be suitable for that?

Thanks a lot

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/