From: Lee Feigenbaum [mailto:figtree@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Lee Feigenbaum
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 12:02 PM
To: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Cc: public-sweo-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Accessibility issues on Semantic FAQ page

Thanks very much, Sailesh.

I updated the SPARQL FAQ to try to fix these problems. Could you please
take a quick look at it and let me know how it seems?

   http://thefigtrees.net/lee/sw/sparql-faq

things changed:

+ The questions are now marked as headers to aid a screen-reader
choosing what text to read
+ The questions are now proper anchors and can be tabbed to and
expanded/collapsed with the keyboard.

(Note that putting the links on the questions is done with JavaScript -
a user agent without JavaScript should see a Web page with all of the
questions expanded, though since the questions are not anchors in that
case, tabbing between them probably does not work right. :-/ )

thanks,
Lee

Sailesh Panchang wrote:
> Lee,
> The solution is in:
>> The questions appear to be marked up as h2 but are not marked up as
>> hyperlinks (anchors)  and hence cannot be tabbed to. Nor do they come
>> up in a link-list drawn up by a screen reader.
> The text marked up as heading  is also meant to be clickable, right? Then
> mark it up as an anchor as well and use CSS if you wish to control its
> appearance as you please. That way it can be tabbed to and will be
> keyboard-operable. The same functionality - expand and collapse should
work
> when the FAQ is operated with the keyboard.
> The permalinks will be unnecessary then. Now they only display the answer
> the FAQ right? Or is there any other functionality associated?
> Retain the explanation and links for expand all / collapse all.
> Sailesh Panchang
> Senior Accessibility Engineer
> Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
> 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,