Re: data integration - how to make a portal - SUMMARY

Hi SWEOs,

a small summary to the Portal-Discussion happening on the mailinglist
and in todays telco:

Kingsley put it in very good words in the telco, saying that we should
focus on the deliverable we have at the moment: a SPARQL endpoint which
gathers data about the semantic web. (see wikipage [HowtoPublish])

Based on this deliverable, there is a second step that people who run
portals can take this data and integrate it into their portal (see
wikipage [PortalPlans] for our own planned portal)

But anybody who runs already a portal, can integrate the data. And we
should still continue experiments on how the data can be visualized, for
example by copying it into a longwell browser.
Also, a colleague of mine offered to use his e-learning portal software
ALOE for SWEO, and Susie found somebody from California (?) who may run
such a portal.

Anyway, a Portal will drag away much of our resources if we do it
ourselves (see [PortalPlans])
We need to setup a server, write software, write a synchroniser or
ontology alignment stuff for the data, write, code, work, etc.

It also appeared to me, that us SWEO members may not make this happen,
until somebody really says: I am going to do that. There is a chance we
can convince external people to do it (for a list of possible
candidates, see [DataSources], section "Information on Communities and
Outreach Organizations".
For example, the Semantic Web School Austria guys are such people we may
be able to convince.

[HowtoPublish]
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/HowtoPublish
[PortalPlans]
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/PortalPlans
[DataSources]
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/DataSources

(Note to Kingsley: you wondered why longwell can't use the SPARQL
endpoint. In my knowledge, conventional longwell needs a whole dump of
the data to work, it was not possible to make longwell run with a sparql
endpoint, for the linked data project there was a hack by Chris and you
guys, but I don't know the details, and probably Danny doesn't either,
if Longwell can work on top of virtuoso. Longwell keeps its own indizes
and lucene stuff, it has always been standalone and
not-integrate-with-your-server.
Does Longwell now run directly on virtuoso? I remember Chris Bizer
saying that they wnated to do that and that you guys implemented capable
count() methods for longwell.....)

It was Kingsley Idehen who said at the right time 22.07.2007 16:09 the
following words:

> Danny Ayers wrote:
>>> I am not convinced that Longwell will deliver the ease of production
>>> you
>>> espouse re. this portal effort. That said, I am extremely willing to be
>>> convinced otherwise, by seeing it accelerate the portal effort :-)
>>
>> Would I be right in thinking there's already a pile of data gathered?
>> (Sorry, not been following very well). If so, if you can point me to
>> an RDF/XML dump, I can have a play with Longwell on it, see what it
>> looks like...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Danny.
> Danny,
>
> See:
>
> 1. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/Info/ (main page)
> 2. http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering/WishList
>
> Which will reveal:
> 1. SPARQL Endpoint
> 2. iSPARQL QBE Endpoint
> 3. Sample Queries for Listing Graphs (in Dynamic Linked Data Page and
> SPARQL Query Definition forms)
>
> Note: The server will protect itself from a CONTRUCT aimed at dumping
> the entire Data Store via SPARQL. The plan was to produce a separate
> RDF Archive for al the contents  of this store (as per "Open Data"
> best practices).

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313