Places to Expose and Track Upcoming Events

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:32:01 -0500
To: 'W3C SWEO IG' <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>

All,

Please look at:
1. http://eventful.com/
2. http://upcoming.org/

We should add pending SWEO events [1] to these services an track these
sites (via RSS feeds) for events that are relevant to SWEO effort. The
overall net effect (as I've stated repeatedly) is that once in Atom or
RSS (don't care what version) I can put the data into a SPARQL compliant
RDF Data Store (enabling us to SELECT, ASK, or CONSTRUCT against said
Data Source).

BTW - I assume others can produce and expose RDF Data Sources along
similar lines too :-)

The biggest question for the Semantic Web at the end of the day is:
Where will the Semantic Content becoming from? How costly will the
production of this data be etc?

If we all recall, one of the early use cases of XML was content
syndication and subscription (a la RSS while in the hands of Netscape).
And in similar vain the question was: How will the XML content be
produced? And when produced how would the syndication and subscription
ecosystem materialize? The answer to these questions was the Blogosphere
as constructed and demonstrated by Dave Winer (using his Radio Userland
platform).

All of my suggestions are about SWEO setting the stage for using the
same game plan to unobtrusively unveil the power of the Semantic Web.

Again, this is why Mesh-ups over Mash-ups is key. Likewise, viewing and
querying the many online communities of XML/XHTML/Wiki-Markup content
syndicates and subscribers via an RDF based data model is key to
engaging Web Community.

--

Regards,

President & CEO