Re: FAQ: Is there a converter from format XYZ to RDF?

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 20:06:01 +0100
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org, "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@csail.mit.edu>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>, "Leo Sauermann" <sauermann@dfki.uni-kl.de>, "W3C SWEO IG" <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>
On 05/01/07, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> Ivan,
>
> TimBL just mailed the maintainers of
>   http://simile.mit.edu/RDFizers/
> asking them to add
>   http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/ldif2n3.py
>
> He suggested this should go in a wiki... the esw wiki, maybe.

For sure.

I thought about creating such a topic, but I don't want
> to do so without (a) incoming links and some thought
> about the name and (b) a critical mass of content.
> I think Tim has a slide or two with lists of converters;
> I suppose I could find those in 10 minutes or so...

There are also a handful of XSLT converters linked from:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/MicroModels

I think I've got a few more around somewhere, plus one or two RDF to format
XYZ converters (via SPARQL/XSLT).

So I started thinking about what budget this time
> could come out of, and I thought it should perhaps
> come out of the SemWeb EO WG budget.

Sounds reasonable (Ivan?). Note that it's an IG not a WG.

A task already under way is InfoGathering :
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering

- Leo Sauermann's just taken on lead role for it, so I'll defer to him/Ivan
whether the converters are (directly) in scope. Either way, I'll be happy to
help collate these things (largely to plug in to GRDDL/quasi-GRDDL code).

One question I don't know whether anyone's looked at yet is how best to
describe converters in RDF - presumably DOAP+DC will go a long way towards
simple annotation, but it would be nice to capture the fact that these
things can act as services, given the right environment.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com