Re: FAQ: Is there a converter from format XYZ to RDF?

From: Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann@dfki.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:12:07 +0100
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org, "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@csail.mit.edu>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Leo Sauermann <sauermann@dfki.uni-kl.de>, W3C SWEO IG <public-sweo-ig@w3.org>

Hi Sweo,

Es begab sich aber da Danny Ayers zur rechten Zeit 05.01.2007 20:06
folgendes schrieb:

> A task already under way is InfoGathering :
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering
>
> - Leo Sauermann's just taken on lead role for it, so I'll defer to
> him/Ivan whether the converters are (directly) in scope. Either way,
> I'll be happy to help collate these things (largely to plug in to
> GRDDL/quasi-GRDDL code).
I would say we use the SWEO wiki and the page there to gather
converters. If you can come up with a GRDDL for the page, perfect. Once
you have it, put it onto InfoGathering, next to the line linking to
ConverterToRdf

http://esw.w3.org/topic/ConverterToRdf

> One question I don't know whether anyone's looked at yet is how best
> to describe converters in RDF - presumably DOAP+DC will go a long way
> towards simple annotation, but it would be nice to capture the fact
> that these things can act as services, given the right environment.
DOAP is ok for the start.
For the converters, we could enhance the aperture vocabulary, it already
describes sources and some data. We already describe the Extractors
using XML files, to say which extractor is responsible for which MIME-type.
MIME-types are a good thing to use to describe converters.
Aperture is a Java project gathering many rdf converters and allowing to
use them in various RDF environments using RDF2go as wrapper. (I am one
of the project admins).

best
Leo

> Cheers,
> Danny.
>
> --
>
> http://dannyayers.com

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
DFKI GmbH
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
67608 Kaiserslautern   Fax:   +49 631 205-3472
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de