Re: updated InfoGathering, proposing a portal as a solution - do you agree on a portal?

Leo Sauermann wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> Some questions I just don't understand, perhaps I miss the context, I
> will answer the ones I understand and give an example of how the portal
> may look.

[snip]

>>"Being the central repository for [...] has been painful to keep up
>>with.  We have had to start blocking and educating about catalogues and
>>caching." [This may not be directly relevant for us, but may raise a
>>flag nevertheless]
>>

> We will provide a portal integrating data and providing user interfaces
> to edit the most important information resources - so the pain to keep
> up to date should be forwarded to people like Dave Beckett, who keeps
> his list of Tools anyway (he just now either uses the portal to manage
> the list or publishes his data as RDF/XML)

I think the pain the question was referring to was (also) related to the
fact that lots of hits come in to the server, it may slow down reaction
time, etc. We hit this issue at W3C before, so we just have to be
careful about this possible concern

>>"Which brings Swoogle [1] to mind.  One test of SWEO's thinking, Ivan,
>>is to ask them what Swoogle is not doing well enough or should be doing
>>better -- i.e. how this new proposal-under-development would improve on
>>Swoogle." [1] http://swoogle.umbc.edu/ (thinking of the possibility of
>>people just 'publishing' their data in some vocabularies, and let
>>existing crawlers pick up that data)
>>

> Swoogle provides nothing, just this:
> search.
>
> the portal will provide things like you would typically find on portals
> such as this:
> http://www.xmlhack.com/

I think the reaction came from your term of using 'crawler' on the page.
Actually, it may be an idea to use the crawler of swoogle...

> or here,  a mockup of what I have in mind
> http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2007/02/sweomockup/
>
>>In general, once we have a somewhat clearer idea of the architecture,
>>and regardless of the details of the tools, we should certainly try to
>>make an assessment on long term on what this beast would lead to:
>>
>>- what type and size of traffic we would expect on such portal
>>

> ~ 5 people editing per day
> ~ 100 visitors per day, if it explodes, up to 10.000 visits per day.
> (depends if the semantic web is a success)
>
> about 5.000 people subscribing to the RSS feeds! (everyone from our
> community) This could be heavy, but easy to cache.

These are important figures. We should keep them before we try to
convince any physical location (w3c or otherwise) to host the service.

>>- what type of update frequency is needed
>>

> from us, not much. We should attract people to edit data themselves.
> One update per week may be enough.
>
>>- what is the necessary manpower requirement to keep it up-to-date
>>

> probably 1 man, hopefully parttime is enough

So, here comes the dirty question: who will be that person once SWEO is
over? Do we expect the W3C staff to keep that?

[Leo, sorry if I sound pushy with these remarks, but I think we have to
be *very* clear with all these details before we move on. *Nothing*
personal or against the project!]

>>- what type of extra facility is necessary (eg: you say we would have
>>some sort of a login facility for people making comments and rating;
>>what type of extra facility would we need for that? OpenID, etc?)
>>

> normal signup: give me your e-mail address, enter a username/password,
> you are in.
> like any web 2.0 app. Nobody uses openid there.

Let us put OpenId aside for the time being (I would love to see OpenId
more widely used, but that is another matter). That means that the
infrastructure you will have for the site will have to have these
features as well. Just pointing that out.

>>etc. Which means that we should have a clear idea about the architecture...
>>

> Before the architecture, I would define the user experience.
> Features first, then architecture.
>
> I made a 15 minute mockup, see here:
> http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2007/02/sweomockup/
>
> can we collaborativly edit somethign like this?
> (does ESW allow HTML?)

Unfortunately, no...

Cheers

Ivan