Re: updated InfoGathering, proposing a portal as a solution - do you agree on a portal?

Hi Ivan, SWEO,

I forgot to mention:
the whole idea of making a PORTAL website is a bit daring, and I think I
made a move forward here that may come too fast for other SWEO members.

So before going into the details, I want to make clear:
* this is going to be a web2.0 like portal website, which may take
considerably effort to do, but may be really useful once done. Is SWEO
agreeing that we think further into this direction? *

If yes, we should search for strong implementation partners, that invest
more than the 1/2 day of work we do at the moment ... we would perhaps
need some manpower from our institutions/w3c members or from other
companies.

answers below:

Es begab sich aber da Ivan Herman zur rechten Zeit 16.02.2007 11:01
folgendes schrieb:
> Hi Leo,
>
> I made some edits for items that are just facts. I prefer to discuss
> others before I make edits:
>
> - We also started to collect references to events (conference,
> workshops). What about general presentations on SW?

YES, correct.
added this to the ontology at the bottom:
 * conference/event - conferences or events where you can learn about
the sematnic web
> - I think the crawling should also include Turtle from the start.
> Actually, by the time we get there, GRDDL will be pretty much done, I
> think it should be considered in the first round!

possible, but I think thats an easy detail to add.

> - Why RSS 0.9 and not 1.0?

which is the RDF version?
I didn't look so close, I meant the one with RDF in it

> For the technical aspect:
>
> The idea of using a crawler may lead to all kinds of technical problems,
> though: efficiency, machine usage, etc. I would think that, at least in
> the first round, we should restrict ourselves to the collection and
> display of data that are 'registered' to us using RDF.
I intended only to crawl registered URLs, like many services do today,
you have a form where you post your file URL, the file gets wgetted daily.

>  I think, in this
> respect, being prepared to GRDDL may be crucial: people may then
> continue using their HTML pages if they want, they could then annotate
> their pages directly, and we could get access to the RDF data. Caveat:
> the ontology we develop will have to have a microformat version and we
> would have to have a corresponding xslt script at disposal, too. The
> same way, we should be prepared to RDFa in the first round, if people
> prefer to use that (and RDFa becomes mature). We should not take sides
> in using only one of those.

I think this is far too complicated at the moment, XML is ok.
people understand how RSS works, and cope with it.
all this XML/XSLT for GRDDL is too complicated for now

> There is an issue whether our portal would regularly 'download' the
> referenced RDF data into our own database (say, once a day), or whether
> we would always go out and on-the-fly access those. Having a gathering
> done once a day would mean that we could offer one big RDF data for the
> whole collection right away, possibly with a SPARQL interface to it, too.

yes, thats cool and exactly what I had in mind

> I will inquire by our system guys and other team members whether and how
> we could host the final system on our site. It is not always obvious...

I guess so, see the comments above.

If not, I think we may opt for a "partner model" with a W3C member
(like, say Oracle or DFKI) hosting this service as a donation.
But I don't know what this implies polititcally

best
Leo

> Ivan
>

> Leo Sauermann wrote:
>
>> Hi SWEO,
>>
>> I analysed the information gathering wiki page and have rewritten it
>> completly, doing much of the long-needed editing.
>> I dumped many todos and read all suggestions made. I summed up
>> everything, and gave it some order.
>>
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/InfoGathering
>>
>> As a result, I realized that we need a portal website to achieve our
>> goals. The goals where to "do something useful that prolongs SWEO, where
>> important information (popular, good ranked) can be found, and all
>> information can be found".
>> Also, several people suggested to have many people involved - and to
>> reuse existing sources.
>>
>> I took all this and defined a "Semantic Web Information Portal" that
>> gathers the Information Resources.
>>
>> Ivan, Pasquale, everyone in this task-force:
>> !! today/tomorrow would be the perfect moment for you to look at this
>> and edit freely !!
>>
>> SWEO: once the task force members are done, we present the result in the
>> next telco.
>>
>> best
>> Leo

- DFKI bravely goes where no man has gone before -
We will move to our new building by end of February 2007.

The new address will be as follows:
    Trippstadter Straße 122
    D-67663 Kaiserslautern

My phone/fax numbers will also change:
Phone:    +49 (0)631 20575 - 116
Secr.:    +49 (0)631 20575 - 101
Fax:      +49 (0)631 20575 - 102
Email remains the same
DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
D-67663 Kaiserslautern Fax:   +49 631 205-3472
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de
Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: