Re: Semantic Web Activity page use case

Kingsley Idehen wrote:

[snip]

> Ivan,
>
> The Semantic Web document Wikipedia is a living document that is open to
> anyone to edit from a variety of perspectives.
>
> As you know, contributions to Wikipedia can take many forms.
>
> The contribution I am referring to relates more to facts and content
> enrichment.
>
> If you look at the logs you will notice that I referred to Tim as
> "Chairman" of W3C (during my recent contributions to this document).
> Then you will notice Tim popped in and changed that to the correct
> designation of "Director".  This is an example of a "fact correction" edit.
>
> There is a lot of confusion swirling around Wikipedia and sometimes we
> can end up not doing anything at all about an inaccurate article because
> of some of the misconceptions about Wikipedia's contribution protocols.
>
> I think the SWEO membership (and anyone else knowledgeable about the
> Semantic Web)  are totally within their rights to enrich the knowledge
> in Wikipedia :-) I would like to encourage contributions from SWEO in
> particular especially as Wikipedia is increasingly the first point of
> call re. "What is the Semantic Web?" these days.
>

> Kingsley

Kingsley,

I acknowledge not being fully familiar with all the wikipedia editing
rules and, often, the issue is not the exact rules, but the perception
thereof. Witness the uproar about Microsoft trying to change some
articles in wikipedia; whether they were right or wrong, the public
perception was clearly very negative. This does not include such clearly
factual changes like Tim's change you refer to.

I think SWEO changing the article, or people on SWEO to change the
article is probably all right. I am not sure that W3C Team members (who
are, after all, W3C 'employees') doing the same is all right. That is
why I personally kept away from that part of wikipedia.

I.