W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sweo-ig@w3.org > February 2007

Re: Semantic Web Activity page use case

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:54:45 -0500
Message-ID: <45C76F65.3020607@openlinksw.com>
CC: public-sweo-ig@w3.org

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Yes, that paragraph has been there for a long time; it is actually a
> quote from a presentation or an interview from Tim. As far as I can
> judge, microformats did not exist when that paragraph was put there.
>
> The question is of course the audience. When you say that *this* use
> case can be implemented by microformats, that means that you already are
> way ahead of the crowd and you *know* what the usage of the web of data
> is. The fact that it can be implemented by microformats is something you
> know because you know about that stuff already... for lot of reader of
> the page the very idea that there is a 'web of data' is new. (And if
> people would also make an association with microformats, that by itself
> is not so bad. In some way, I regard them to be part of the Semantic Web...)
>
> I am not saying *at all* that you are wrong, and if the example could
> indeed be extended a bit, that would be good. But we should not have
> more than a paragraph there.
>
> Ivan
>
>
> P.S. As for wikipedia: I think there is a general idea that people do
> not edit the page of 'themselves', so to say, ie, I, as W3C Team person,
> should not edit that stuff...
>   

Ivan,

The Semantic Web document Wikipedia is a living document that is open to 
anyone to edit from a variety of perspectives.

As you know, contributions to Wikipedia can take many forms.

The contribution I am referring to relates more to facts and content 
enrichment.

If you look at the logs you will notice that I referred to Tim as 
"Chairman" of W3C (during my recent contributions to this document). 
Then you will notice Tim popped in and changed that to the correct 
designation of "Director".  This is an example of a "fact correction" edit.

There is a lot of confusion swirling around Wikipedia and sometimes we 
can end up not doing anything at all about an inaccurate article because 
of some of the misconceptions about Wikipedia's contribution protocols.

I think the SWEO membership (and anyone else knowledgeable about the 
Semantic Web)  are totally within their rights to enrich the knowledge 
in Wikipedia :-) I would like to encourage contributions from SWEO in 
particular especially as Wikipedia is increasingly the first point of 
call re. "What is the Semantic Web?" these days.


Kingsley

>
>
> Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
>   
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'd like to raise an issue, namely what is communicated from the 
>> Semantic Web Activity page. The current opening statement is this:
>>
>> "The Semantic Web is a web of data. There is lots of data we all use 
>> every day, and its not part of the web. I can see my bank statements on 
>> the web, and my photographs, and I can see my appointments in a 
>> calendar. But can I see my photos in a calendar to see what I was doing 
>> when I took them? Can I see bank statement lines in a calendar?"
>>
>> As it looks now, I think these use cases will be realized using 
>> microformats, and that RDF will play a very minor role. I think there 
>> is a very real risk that developers will think that all Semantic Web 
>> uses cases can be satisfied with microformats and that the "complex, 
>> academic stuff" that we're doing is nothing but a unnecessary 
>> complication of something that can be done rather simply with 
>> microformats. 
>>
>> We need simple use cases to start with, but not the ones that will most 
>> likely happen through other means. So, I think we have a problem here, 
>> and that this paragraph will have to be rewritten. I don't know what it 
>> should say, but I hope to start a debate.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Kjetil
>>     
>
>   


-- 


Regards,

Kingsley Idehen	      Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO 
OpenLink Software     Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Received on Monday, 5 February 2007 17:54:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:17:35 GMT