RE: Semantic Web Layer Cake Update Suggestion

Jeff

Mostly, yes - how do we get the right story to bring about the CIO
investment decision in SW technology?

One of the selling points of the SW to CIOs is the argument that an
investment in technology at any one layer (requiring those below it) can
provide applications which give return on investment (ROI) that
justifies the technology choice, and that the staff that have been
trained for a layer will continue to be a justified investment when the
layers above are adopted, since higher layers build on the skills of
lower ones.

The contrast for those who experienced the expert systems boom and bust
of the 1980s, or the grand AI view is where massive investment in a full
architecture with staff training and method adoption is required before
any ROI.

Since this is a positive argument for the SW it is worth checking
whether any presentation of the SW appears to fight against it - and
then avoid the conflict.

Michael Wilson
Manager, UK & Ireland Office of W3C
e-Science Centre
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0QX, UK
http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/ukofficecontact.html
Fax: +44 1235 445831

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended
only for the individual named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, or responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying,
or disclosure of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.