Introduction: Danny Ayers

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:04:27 +0100
To: public-sweo-ig@w3.org

Hello everyone,

I'm delighted to be invited to the group. My hope is that I can
somehow contribute to the "showing" side of outreach (gluing together
demo apps etc), and maybe help out with any docs, although other
commitments mean I'll probably be quite time-constrained until the New
Year.

I'm also (with Ian) on the GRDDL WG, and try to a least keep one eye
on the various W3C SW mailing lists. I lurk on #swig as danja.

Workwise I'm a freelance developer (no affiliations) and generally
code on projects involving Semantic Web technologies. My main contract
at the moment involves using RDF/SPARQL to integrate/query data from
(slightly) disparate sources: medical records coming from
schema-different SQL databases.

Until fairly recently I listed "technical author" as my day job. I've
written parts of 10 programming books, mostly on Web-related topics
(only lead author of one, on RSS/Atom). Had enough of that, although I
did recently start on a regular column for IEEE Internet Computing,
"Websense".

I've been a Semantic Web enthusiast for a few years, and seem to have
wound up doing a little (*cough*) lower-case education and outreach
via my blog (which is RDF-backed). Nowadays I tend to have a
conciliatory approach to things like RSS (not-1.0) and the Web 2.0
"stack".  (Some of those books I've worked on are in such areas, and
/coincidentally/ include some RDF).

I'm usually on a programme committee or two, and am the chair of the
Developer Track of WWW 2007.

In a past life I was involved in electronics for music, catching the
interesting transition from analogue to digital (to computer). A
couple of months ago I regressed totally, getting my first electric
guitar for many years.

I'm originally from rural northern England, now live in rural northern
Italy. Married, with chickens.

Cheers,
Danny.

--