Re: [Recipes] Puzzle with HTTP Accept, Firefox header plug-in and RDF

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:51:40 +0100
To: Sergio Fernández <sergio.fernandez@fundacionctic.org>
CC: Diego Berrueta <diego.berrueta@fundacionctic.org>, SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>, Lourens van der Meij <lourens@cs.vu.nl>

Hi Sergio,

>> I'd be curious, though, why such a rule has been set up in the
>> Recipes. Once this document acknowledges that:
>> "It is accepted as a principle of good practice that HTTP clients
>> SHOULD include an 'Accept:' field in a request header,"
>> then the rewrite rules could have been specified based on the Accept
>> header only, couldn't they?
>
> There is a section in the recipes document discussing this old issue
> with IE [1]. Despite that I don't like it, this condition could be
> improved with something like:
>
>   RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Mozilla/.*MSIE*
>
> I might is not so easy to find a satisfactory solution with current
> mod_rewrite capabilities.
>
> Best regards,
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-swbp-vocab-pub-20080828/#defaultIE

I can understand that there would be a special rule for IE because of the value of the 'q' paramater and the catch-all Accept. But why putting something for Mozilla, which has the 'right' header policy? We could just have no Mozilla-specific condition, that is, relying only on the Accept header for Mozilla.

Best,