Re: SKOS Comment (various) [ISSUE-168]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:01:37 +0100
Cc: <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>

Dear Jeremy

Thank you for your comments [1,ISSUE-168]:

7) 5.4 s/N.B/Note/ (editorial)

It was a bit surprising that this was an N.B. rather than a "Note:".
Particularly since the note is somewhat nave vis--vis RFC 4647 on
language
ranges, I didn't feel it merited being well-noted as opposed to
merely noted.

In fact I would prefer somewhat different text along the lines of:

Note: BCP47 defines tags for identifying languages, but does not
define the
concept of "language".
e.g. "en", "en-GB", "en-US" are three different language tags, used with
English, British English and US English respectively. Similarly,
"ja" ...
The condition S14 concerns language tags and hence does not conflate
any of these.

Such wording avoids minefields like what is a language, and words
like denote

We have made the substitution and change as suggested. The Working
Group propose to close this issue. I hope you are happy with this.

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-168] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/168
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Oct/0077.html