Re: Review of the "SKOS Reference" Last Call Working Draft [ISSUE=139]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:56:58 +0100
Cc: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
To: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>

Dear Michael

Thank you for your comments [1,ISSUE-139]:

"""
To stress this a bit: This is already incompatible with OWL DL, because
skos:prefLabel, etc., are sub properties of the owl:AnnotationProperty
rdfs:label. There must not be sub property axioms on annotation
properties in
OWL DL.
"""

As you point out, the SKOS schema is not an OWL DL ontology due to
violation of some of the constraints. OWL 2 /may/ address some of
these issues, but in the current SKOS specification we are avoiding
reference to work in progress.

This has been discussed within the WG (e.g. see [2]) but is not
explicitly stated in the Reference document. The schema overview [3],
does, however refer to the OWL species of the schema.

The comment regarding the incompatability has been removed and the
Working Group propose to close this issue.

We hope that this change will be satisfactory.

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-139] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/139
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Sep/0044.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RdfSchema