Re: OWL WG LC comment for SKOS reference document [ISSUE-155]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:59:48 +0100
Cc: public-swd-wg@w3.org, public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>

Dear Peter

Thanks for your comments [1,2,ISSUE-155]:

I think that it would be very useful if there was a version of SKOS that
used OWL 2.  I understand that it is problematic for a recommendation to
point to something that is not (yet) a recommendation.  However, I think
that an informative document would be useful, even just a version of the
RDF/XML document that used the new OWL 2 features.  I think
that it would be even more useful to have this information in another
format, such as the OWL 2 reference syntax.

The OWL WG believes that it would be very useful if there was a version
of SKOS that used OWL 2.  The WG understands that it is problematic for
a recommendation to point to something that is not (yet) a
recommendation and that further delay to SKOS is probably not warranted.
However, the OWL WG believes that publishing, at some point in the
future, a document (eg, a WG Note) describing how SKOS could be defined
in an OWL 2 environment would be useful. The OWL WG has produced an OWL
2 version of the SKOS specification and would be happy to help SKOS
experts in producing a descriptive note explaining how this OWL 2
ontology related to SKOS.  This note could be published as a joint WG
note of the two WGs.

We note your comments that changes to the Recommendation at this
point are not
warranted.

We do agree, however, that an OWL 2 version of SKOS would be useful,
and would
be happy to collaborate in producing a descriptive note along the lines
suggested. As a consequence, we propose to *postpone* this issue.
Please let us know if you are happy with this.

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-155] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/155
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Oct/0018.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Oct/0059.html