Re: SKOS comment [ISSUE-148]

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:58:27 +0100
Cc: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
To: Erik Hennum <ehennum@us.ibm.com>

Dear Erik,

thanks for your comments [1,ISSUE-148]:

"""
While it makes good sense to have an abstract base to handle unexpected
cases, the draft acknowledges in Section 8.6.7. Reflexivity of
skos:broader
and Section 8.6.8. Cycles in the Hierarchical Relation (Reflexivity of
skos:broaderTransitive) that many applications expect hierarchical
relationships to be irreflexive and noncyclical.

Given that this requirement will be quite common, is it appropriate to
leave it as an exercise for each application to solve in a different
way?
Or would it be better to define subproperties with these constraints so
this common requirement can be addressed by common SKOS infrastructure?
"""

We appreciate and understand your comments relating to the provision
of standardised relationships. With SKOS (as with any vocabulary) the
WG had to make decisions as to "when to stop" in terms of providing
standardised vocabulary. As discussed in the SKOS Primer [2], custom
extensions may be defined. In this case, we have decided to leave
this as an exercise for the community and propose to *close* this
issue, making no change at this point.

This does not, of course close the door on the possibility of
standardised extensions in the future.

Are you able to live with this?.

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-148] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/148