ISSUE-139 draft response

From: Sean Bechhofer <sean.bechhofer@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:03:54 +0100
To: SWD Working SWD <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

Here's a draft response to Michael on [ISSUE-139], let me know what you
think. Note *this is just a draft, not the actual response* -- I'll
wait for feedback from the WG before replying formally to
Michael. (Michael if you're lurking on this list feel free to post your
thoughts at any time.)

	Sean

Dear Michael

Thank you for your comments [1]:

"""
To stress this a bit: This is already incompatible with OWL DL, because
skos:prefLabel, etc., are sub properties of the owl:AnnotationProperty
rdfs:label. There must not be sub property axioms on annotation
properties in
OWL DL.
"""

As you point out, the SKOS schema is not an OWL DL ontoogy due to
violation of some of the constraints. OWL 2 /may/ address some of
these issues, but in the current SKOS specification we are avoiding
reference to work in progress.

This has been discussed within the WG (e.g. see [2]) but is not
explicitly stated in the documents. A possible solution would be to
place a note discussing the OWL species of the schema in the overview
of the schema [3].

Would this be acceptable?

	Alistair Miles

[ISSUE-139] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/139