W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > March 2008

Minutes from 2008-03-18 telecon

From: Clay Redding <cred@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:10:20 -0400
Message-Id: <47E11ECC0200006A00024B85@ntgwgate.loc.gov>
To: <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

The minutes [1] from yesterday's telecon are now online for review.  A text copy follows.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html

SWD WG

18 Mar 2008

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0060.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Clay, Ralph, Tom, Diego, Ed, Quentin, Antoine, Guus,
          Margherita, Jon, Ben, Alistair, Sean, Daniel

   Regrets
          Elisa, Vit

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          Clay

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]SKOS
         3. [7]RDFa
         4. [8]Recipes
         5. [9]Vocabulary Management
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



   <TomB> Previous: [11]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html

   <scribe> Scribenick: Clay

   <scribe> Scribe: Clay

Admin

   <scribe> ACTION: Chairs to draft charter extension proposal for SKOS
   until July 1st [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action01]
   [CONTINUES]

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action01

   <scribe> ACTION: Guus to set up a poll for a meeting 6-8 May with
   different possible venues Amsterdam, Boston, London or Washington
   [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action02] [DONE]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action02

   [scribe:] Guus [14]completed the poll during the meeting, and posted
   this link to access it:
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/39408/FTF-May-2008-poll/.

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/39408/FTF-May-2008-poll/

   Tom: Glitch in March 11 minutes re: pending actions not appearing in
   agenda or meeting minutes
   ... re: action on Guus re: ISSUE-71

   <scribe> ACTION: Guus to add to Antoine's proposal for issue 71, a
   proposal for semantic relations between match relations and standard
   relations [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action02] [DONE]

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action02

   scribe: action on Alistair to clarify which aspects of extension
   should be in scope
   ... not recorded as closed

   <scribe> ACTION: Alistair to propose an approach to clarify which
   aspects of the extension module should be in scope for the candidate
   recommendation package. [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2007/12/11-swd-minutes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2007/12/11-swd-minutes.html#action06

   RESOLUTION: Minutes from March 11 accepted. Next meeting 25 March
   2008 *1500* UTC.

   <scribe:> 25 March 2008 *1500* UTC->
   [18]http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=03&da
   y=25&year=2008&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=0.

     [18] http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=03&day=25&year=2008&hour=15&min=00&sec=0&p1=0

SKOS

   <scribe> ACTION: Alistair and Guus to check the text in the primer
   on relationship between Concept Schemes and OWL Ontologies.
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action13]
   [CONTINUES]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action13

   <scribe> ACTION: Sean to propose a way to handle deprecated
   properties (updating RDF schema) [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2008/02/12-swd-minutes.html#action06]
   [CONTINUES]

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/12-swd-minutes.html#action06

   <scribe> ACTION: Ralph to check whether the common interpretation of
   rdfs isDefinedBy fits the reasoning that was made in
   [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.h
   tml [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [CONTINUES]

     [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.html
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes.html#action10

   Alistair: re: SKOS-XL
   ... suggesting that it doesn't have to be in-scope for the current
   document, can be done afterward

   Tom: feedback from ISO 16642 group that would like to see this
   folded into the SKOS reference
   ... comments from Japanese colleague who needs support for Yomi
   transcription (alt. forms of a label in transcribed form)

   Alistair: possibly leave it for ISO 16642
   ... re Yomi: leave it to labelRelations?
   ... the relationship between this class of labels and rdf plain
   literals, does what we model in this extension fit these other
   folks?

   Antoine: could we move back label relationship with respect to
   SKOS-XL?
   ... if some people prefer to use XL, it gives freedom of choice

   Alistair: they're not either/or, mutually exclusive
   ... what's in the extension builds on the existing label
   relationship

   <edsu> SKOS-XL ->
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/SKOS-XL

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/SKOS-XL

   Clay: using xl:prefLabel and skos:prefLabel in conjunction was a
   nice option
   ... and skos:LabelRelation

   <scribe> ACTION: Antoine will review Alistair's proposals w/r/t the
   relationship between the existing solution and the extensioin
   [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action06]

   Tom: important to decide if it's in scope or not. Antoine was
   suggesting it should be in scope.

   Ralph: purpose of Antoine's action is to decide whether Alistair's
   proposal should be considered for the CR draft

   Antoine: it's more about possibly moving back the existing label
   relationship to accoomodate the functionality of the extension

   Tom: Antoine, you're suggesting that they both be seen as
   extensions?

   Antoine: yes

   Alistair: XL was designed to possibly live in the same space as the
   existing solution
   ... if they live in the same reference the local names would have to
   change

   Tom: designed not to live in the same namespace?

   Alistair: if they do live in the same namespace you'd use different
   local names

   Tom: Open SKOS issues
   ... re: Alistair and ISSUE-40

   <scribe> ACTION: Alistair to make a proposal for Issue 40 (Concept
   Coordination) [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [CONTINUES]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action09

   Tom: re: ISSUE-37 for Guus

   Alistair: thought that Guus would discuss with Sean

   <edsu> ->
   [26]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0037.h
   tml

     [26] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0037.html

   Guus: would be useful to discuss

   Sean: make skos:broaderGeneric rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subClassOf .

   Guus: if you look at the broader definition it's not clear
   ... need more dicussion

   Alistair: if you have broaderGeneric as a subPropertyOf subClassOf
   ... through broaderGeneric
   ... requires more thought

   Sean: no theoretical reason for having super as transitive

   Guus: proposal was to write some primer text on it and should be
   fine

   <scribe> ACTION: Guus to write primer text re: broaderGeneric and
   equivalence with respect to subClassOf [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action08]

   <Zakim> aliman, you wanted to mention meta-modeling issue

   Alistair: when you write the part of the primer, consider how it
   fits with ConceptSchemes and OWL ontologies

   Tom: re: ISSUE-67 (StatingFormalDefinitions)
   ... supports the proposed resolution
   ... propose to accept issue 67

   RESOLUTION: StatingFormalDefinitions ISSUE-67 accepted

   <Ralph> [[PROPOSED: To state formal aspects of the SKOS data model
   in the main body of the SKOS Reference as sentences of prose
   following the style of prose used in the RDF Schema specification
   <[28]http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-schema-20040210/>. An OWL
   ontology will also be given as an appendix to the SKOS Reference,
   however the prose in the main body of the SKOS Reference will take
   precedence. --
   [29]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0027.h
   tml.]]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-schema-20040210/%3E.
     [29] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0027.html

   Tom: issue-71 and ISSUE-74
   ...re: ParallelMappingVocabulary and MappingPropertyConventions

   <Ralph> [issue 74 is in Alistair's top 10, 71 is there as related to
   74]

   Alistair: iGuus and broaderMatch as subproperty of broader

   <Ralph> [30]issue 74 MappingPropertyConventions

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/74

   Guus: nothing happened afterward

   <Ralph> [31]issue 71 ParallelMappingVocabulary

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/71

   Alistair: if we can fix this it gets a big piece of work out of the
   way for the reference
   ... Guus' proposal is a middle ground and is interesting

   <scribe> ACTION: Alistair to review Antoine and Guus' emails to move
   ISSUE-71 and -74 [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action09]

   <Guus> I created the ftf poll:

   <Guus> [33]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/39408/FTF-May-2008-poll/

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/39408/FTF-May-2008-poll/

   <Ralph> [34]issue 80 SKOS-OWL-Patterns

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/80

   Tom: re: ISSUE-80...do we need an action associated?

   <edsu>

   Ed: Guus sent a chunk of HTML to be included in primer?

   Antoine: issue is more recent

   Tom: forwards without an action (re: SKOS-OWL-Patterns (Alistair))

   Guus: I'll try to have this for discussion before next telecon
   ... will come back to this after my action

RDFa

   Ben: Ralph, status on primer?

   <Ralph> [35]RDFa Primer updated

     [35] http://www.w3.org/News/2008#item44

   Ben: will have several implementations ready before going to
   candidate rec

   <Ralph> [36]RDFa Primer W3C Working Draft 17 March 2008

     [36] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xhtml-rdfa-primer-20080317/

   <Ralph> ACTION: Ralph and Ben to publish web version of the new RDFa
   Primer [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action06

   Ben: I had an action to update the schedule, but haven't had a
   chance to look
   ... had a request to extend deadline to do some XSLT work

   <Ralph> [38]13-March RDFa telecon record

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/13-rdfa-minutes

   <scribe> ACTION: Ben to prepare draft implementation report for RDFa
   (with assistance from Michael) [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14

   [40]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]

     [40] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14

   <scribe> --continues

   Ben: date of April 21 for review of primer for WG
   ... if it works on our end it's a date we can match

   <scribe> ACTION: Ben to clarify target date of publication of primer
   as note and update deliverables page [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html#action08] [DONE]

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html#action08

Recipes

   Diego: re: Cool URIs
   ... I raised three comments , third was a mistake
   ... I agree with sprit of first two and his view is better than ours
   but more complex to implement in Apache
   ... we need to decide if we want to change our current recipes or
   keep as is

   Ralph: i haven't discussed this with Tim
   ... I think it might be a mistake to complicate the recipes

   Ed: my only suggestion was to explicitly state that this was for
   Apache and .htaccess and mod_rewrite

   Tom: perhaps sounds like a good solution as well
   ... if the authors wish to keep the technical scope the same as it
   is now, that is good

   Jon: inclined to agree with Ralph to not make the doc more complex
   ... scope of this doc was for relative simplicity

   <scribe> ACTION: recipes editors to clarify and write some sentences
   for the title that spells out the points Ed made for .htaccess and
   Apache [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action13]

   <scribe> ACTION: Diego, Jon and Ralph to coordinate Recipes examples
   for w3c site [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [CONTINUES]

     [43] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action09

   <scribe> ACTION: Ralph propose resolution to ISSUE-16 "Default
   behavior" [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]
   [CONTINUES]

     [44] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14

   <scribe> ACTION: Ralph/Diego to work on Wordnet implementation [of
   Recipes implementations] [recorded in [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20]
   [CONTINUES]

     [45] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20

Vocabulary Management

   <Ralph> [46]new Vocab Mgmnt editor's draft published

     [46] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0061.html

   Tom: Elisa has posted a doc for review

   <Ralph> [47]16-March Vocab Mgmnt Editor's draft

     [47] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/Vocab/principles-20080316

   Tom: need reviewers for completion 2 weeks from now

   Diego: I volunteer.

   Guus: Tom?

   Tom: will review, but would like antoher reviewer

   Guus: Mark van Assem from Wordnet to review possibly?

   Tom: that's fine

   <Guus> ACTION: Guus to ask Mark van Assem to review VM Editor's
   Draft [recorded in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action17]

   Tom: please respond to Guus' poll about dates

   <Ralph> [ah, thanks, Guus; I mis-heard "Mark van Assem" -- thought
   you'd mentioned a different Mark]

   Tom: meeting adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Alistair to review Antoine and Guus' emails to move
   ISSUE-71 and -74 [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: Antoine will review Alistair's proposals w/r/t the
   relationship between the existing solution and the extensioin
   [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Guus to ask Mark van Assem to review VM Editor's Draft
   [recorded in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action17]
   [NEW] ACTION: Guus to write primer text re: broaderGeneric and
   equivalence w/r/t subclass [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: recipes editors to clarify and write some sentences
   for the title that spells out the points Ed made for .htaccess and
   Apache [recorded in
   [53]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/18-swd-minutes.html#action13]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Alistair and Guus to check the text in the primer
   on relationship between Concept Schemes and OWL Ontologies.
   [recorded in
   [54]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action13]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Alistair to make a proposal for Issue 40 (Concept
   Coordination) [recorded in
   [55]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ben to prepare draft implementation report for
   RDFa (with assistance from Michael) [recorded in
   [56]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Chairs to draft charter extension proposal for
   SKOS until July 1st [recorded in
   [57]http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Diego, Jon and Ralph to coordinate Recipes
   examples for w3c site [recorded in
   [58]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action09]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph propose resolution to ISSUE-16 "Default
   behavior" [recorded in
   [59]http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph to check whether the common interpretation
   of rdfs isDefinedBy fits the reasoning that was made in
   [60]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.h
   tml [recorded in
   [61]http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes.html#action10]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph/Diego to work on Wordnet implementation [of
   Recipes implementations] [recorded in [recorded in
   [62]http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Sean to propose a way to handle deprecated
   properties (updating RDF schema) [recorded in
   [63]http://www.w3.org/2008/02/12-swd-minutes.html#action06]

     [54] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action13
     [55] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action09
     [56] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14
     [57] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action01
     [58] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action09
     [59] http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14
     [60] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.html
     [61] http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes.html#action10
     [62] http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20
     [63] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/12-swd-minutes.html#action06

   [DONE] ACTION: Alistair to propose an approach to clarify which
   aspects of the extension module should be in scope for the candidate
   recommendation package. [recorded in
   [64]http://www.w3.org/2007/12/11-swd-minutes.html#action06]
   [DONE] ACTION: Guus to add to Antoine's proposal for issue 71, a
   proposal for semantic relations between match relations and standard
   relations [recorded in
   [65]http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Guus to set up a poll for a meeting 6-8 May with
   different possible venues Amsterdam, Boston, London or Washington
   [recorded in
   [66]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: Ralph and Ben to publish web version of the new RDFa
   Primer [recorded in
   [67]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action06]
   [DONE] ACTION: Ben to clarify target date of publication of primer
   as note and update deliverables page [recorded in
   [68]http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html#action08]

     [64] http://www.w3.org/2007/12/11-swd-minutes.html#action06
     [65] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action02
     [66] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action02
     [67] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/11-swd-minutes.html#action06
     [68] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html#action08

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [69]scribe.perl version 1.133
    ([70]CVS log)
    $Date: 2008/03/19 17:35:50 $

     [69] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [70] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 19 March 2008 18:11:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 19 March 2008 18:11:55 GMT