SKOS comment - intended directionality needs to be stated

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:56:00 +0000
To: "public-swd-wg@w3.org" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

The intended directionality of skos:broader (and skos:narrower, etc.) is unclear in
the SKOS Reference.  When I write

        :a skos:broader :b .

Is this supposed to mean ":a is broader than :b"?  Or ":b is broader than :a"?

I imagine the directionality is somewhere stated, but in searching throught the SKOS Reference for several minutes I was unable to find it in the obvious places, such as the section on skos:broader:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080125/#broader
or in Section 7 on its semantics:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080125/#L2055
or even in the examples:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-skos-reference-20080125/#L2157

I think a statement needs to be added somewhere, even if it is merely in the example, saying something like:
[[
        :a skos:broader :b .

indicates that :b is a broader concept than :a.
]]

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.