W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > March 2008

Meeting record: 2008-03-04 telecon

From: Elisa F. Kendall <ekendall@sandsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:40:22 -0800
Message-ID: <47D2DD96.30402@sandsoft.com>
To: SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
The record of this week's SWD telecon [1] is ready for review. The
text version is below.

<>Best,

<>Elisa

[1] http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html

------------------------------------------------


W3C <http://www.w3.org/>


  SWD WG


    04 Mar 2008

Agenda <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Mar/0009.html>

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-irc>


    Attendees

Present
    Elisa Kendall, Diego Berrueta, Ed Summers, Ralph Swick, Tom Baker,
    Margherita Sini, Daniel Rubin, Ben Adida, Jon Phillips
Regrets
    Alistair, Antoine, Simone, Sean, Michael
Chair
    Tom
Scribe
    Elisa


    Contents

    * Topics <#agenda>
         1. Admin <#item01>
         2. SKOS <#item02>
         3. RDFa <#item03>
         4. Recipes <#item04>
         5. Vocabulary Management <#item05>
    * Summary of Action Items <#ActionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Admin

<TomB> Previous: http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html

Tom:The telecom times over the next three weeks will be the same except
for Europeans.
Links for the exact times in a given timezone are in the agenda

<Ralph> ("same" as in "same local time")

Tom:Things will be back to normal after three weeks from now (no change
in the US, aside from Arizona).
Scribe duty -- Antoine for next week, Clay in reserve; Margherita for
March 25

<marghe> ok for me

PROPOSED to accept minutes of the Feb 26
telecon:http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html

*RESOLVED: to accept minutes of the Feb 26 telecon:
http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html*

*ACTION:* Chairs to draft charter extension proposal for SKOS until July
1st [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action01]
*[CONTINUES]*

Tom:F2F Meeting: need to move this discussion to next week, with favored
dates of 8-9 May in London


    SKOS

   1. Verify schedule March through December 2008

      Tom: I would like to verify the schedule through the end of the year.
      I noticed that the expected schedule on the deliverables page
      doesn't include the SKOS Primer. What's the expected schedule for
      that?
      Is it in sync with the SKOS reference?

      Ed: There are resolutions that depend on the SKOS reference, so
      it's tied to that.

      Tom:Ed will update that ...


   2. SKOS Primer (Antoine, Ed)

      *ACTION:* Alistair and Guus to check the text in the primer on
      relationship between Concept Schemes and OWL Ontologies. [recorded
      in http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action13]
      *[CONTINUES]*


   3. SKOS Reference (Alistair, Sean)

      *ACTION:* Sean to propose a way to handle deprecated properties
      (updating RDF schema) [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/02/12-swd-minutes.html#action06] *[CONTINUES]*

      *ACTION:* Ralph to check whether the common interpretation of rdfs
      isDefinedBy fits the reasoning that was made in
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.html
      <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.html>
      [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes.html#action10] *[CONTINUES]*


   4. SKOS-XL: eXtension for Labels

      *ACTION:* Alistair to propose an approach to clarify which aspects
      of the extension module should be in scope for the candidate
      recommendation package. [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action09] *[CONTINUES]*

   5. "Open" SKOS Issues

      *ACTION:* Alistair to make a proposal for Issue 40 (Concept
      Coordination) [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action09] *[CONTINUES]*

      *ACTION:* Guus to add to Antoine's proposal for issue 71, a
      proposal for semantic relations between match relations and
      standard relations [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action02] *[CONTINUES]*


    RDFa

   1. Verify schedule March through December 2008

      Tom: It would be good if we could include the RDFa Primer in the
      Deliverables Table.

      <Ralph> RDFa Deliverables
      <http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables#RDFa>

      <edsu> +q to ask about rdfa profile discussion

      Ben: April 2008 updated primer?

      Tom: What's the final status?

      Ben: I'm currently editing it as a note. April 2008 is a very
      workable goal to get RDFa primer out as a note...

      Tom: I would like to flag this...

      Ralph: I'd like to keep this open until Syntax has reached rec status.

      Ben: Modulo some tiny details that may come up during the end of
      last call, this is doable.

      *ACTION:* Ben to clarify target date of publication of the primer
      as a note and update the deliverables page [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html#action08]


   2. RDFa Task Force telecons - still regularly scheduled?

      <Ralph> 28-Feb RDFa TF Telecon record
      <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2008Feb/0158.html>

      *ACTION:* Ben to prepare draft implementation report for RDFa
      (with assistance from Michael) [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14] *[CONTINUES]*

   3. RDFa Profile Discussion

      <Zakim> edsu, you wanted to ask about rdfa profile discussion

      Ben: We are tracking the comments that come in from last call via
      tracker, and it's going ok.

      Ed: I'd be interested to hear a summary of the issues to do with
      the profile ... I think Sean Palmer had some issues.

      Ben: I sent a response to him. The core issue here is how you
      follow your nose from an HTML document with RDFa to the RDF
      specification.

      <Ralph> RDFa test case #1 missing @profile?
      <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2008Mar/thread.html#msg18>
      thread

      Ben:We had agreed to use the profile attribute for this, and make
      it a best practice for RDFa to use it, but we have not made it a
      requirement -- when people don't have control over the head of a
      document. We understand that this is a compromise, the latest
      conclusion is that we're producing all but one test case with the
      profile attribute. It's the conflict between doing right by web
      archs and at the same time accounting for real world issues.

      Ed:Is the use of the DOCTYPE usual?

      <Ralph> Norm Walsh writes

      <Ralph> [[

      <Ralph> Without the profile, this is *and must be* only a

      <Ralph> vanilla XHTML document where the about and property
      attributes are

      <Ralph> totally ignored.

      <Ralph> ]]

      <Ralph> --
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2008Mar/0018.html
      <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2008Mar/0018.html>

      Ben:If you do RDFa using XHTML 1.1 then you do need to use the
      profile.

      Ed: That helps.

      Tom: I'm wondering if the primer will articulate the nature of the
      compromise.

      Ben: We've steered clear of this in the primer for the moment.

      <Ralph> Ben: the compromise is partly to address users of blogging
      software and wiki software who can't modify the DOCTYPE or the
      @profile values on their pages

      Tom: it seems important to capture this somewhere.

      Ben: I'll think about where best to present this.

      Ralph: This is an important architectural issue as well - the TAG
      may say that they understand the usability argument, but the
      architectural issue of self-describing documents might override this.
      It might be good for this WG to think about this and have a strong
      consensus about this.

      Ben: We're looking at the self-describing document issue and
      planning to have a good answer to this.

      <edsu> self-describing documents
      <http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/selfDescribingDocuments.html>


    Recipes

   1. Verify schedule March through December 2008

      Tom: Let's verify the schedule, March - December.

      Diego: I'm hoping that by the end of this month we can have a new
      working draft.


   2. Open Issues

      *ACTION:* Ralph propose resolution to ISSUE-16 "Default behavior"
      [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14] *[CONTINUES]*

      *ACTION:* Ralph/Diego to work on Wordnet implementation [of
      Recipes implementations] [recorded in [recorded in
      http://www.w3.org/2008/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action20] *[CONTINUES]*


    Vocabulary Management

-> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables#VocabularyMgt
<http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables#VocabularyMgt> Vocab
Managment deliverable

Elisa: I'm working on the comments sent thus far.

Tom: 15 March for internal review editors' draft OK?

Elisa: yes

Tom: I have a few comments I'll send.

Elisa: Please look for anything large and glaring that's been omitted.

Tom: The issue of domain registration problem is flagged in the current
draft
... I can respond to this
... the issue is that domain names are only registered for a finite time
... if the owner dies or fails to renew the registration, the domain
name can be lost to a spammer or an entirely unrelated enterprise

[adjourned]


    Summary of Action Items

*[NEW]* *ACTION:* Ben to clarify target date of publication of primer as
note and update deliverables page [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/03/04-swd-minutes.html#action08]
 
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Alistair and Guus to check the text in the primer
on relationship between Concept Schemes and OWL Ontologies. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action13]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Alistair to make a proposal for Issue 40 (Concept
Coordination) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/01/29-swd-minutes.html#action09]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Alistair to propose an approach to clarify which
aspects of the extension module should be in scope for the candidate
recommendation package. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/12/11-swd-minutes.html#action06]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Ben to prepare draft implementation report for
RDFa (with assistance from Michael) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/10/08-swd-minutes.html#action03]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Chairs to draft charter extension proposal for
SKOS until July 1st [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action01]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Guus to add to Antoine's proposal for issue 71, a
proposal for semantic relations between match relations and standard
relations [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/02/26-swd-minutes.html#action02]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Ralph propose resolution to ISSUE-16 "Default
behavior" [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Ralph to check whether the common interpretation
of rdfs isDefinedBy fits the reasoning that was made in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.html
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Oct/0141.html>
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes.html#action10]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Ralph/Diego to work on Wordnet implementation [of
Recipes implementations] [recorded in [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/10/09-swd-minutes.html#action03]
*[PENDING]* *ACTION:* Sean to propose a way to handle deprecated
properties (updating RDF schema) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/02/12-swd-minutes.html#action06]
 
[End of minutes]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version
1.133 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2008/03/06 17:20:17 $
Received on Saturday, 8 March 2008 18:40:40 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Saturday, 8 March 2008 18:40:41 GMT