 From: public-swd-wg-request@w3.org on behalf of Antoine Isaac
 Sent: Sun 17/02/2008 23:33
 To: SWD WG
 Subject: Re: [SKOS] On ISSUE-71 ParallelMappingVocabulary and
ISSUE-74 MappingPropertyConventions

 Dear all,

 I propose to OPEN ISSUE-71 ParallelMappingVocabulary [1] and consider
 CLOSEing it by the following proposal:

 RESOLUTION: The vocabulary for mapping links is parallel to the
 vocabulary for (paradigmatic) semantic relationships. It includes a
 skos:broadMatch, skos:narrowMatch and skos:relatedMatch which mirror
 skos:broader, skos:narrower and skos:related.

 This I think renders well the different discussions that took place
on
 the SKOS and SWD list, as well as previous mapping vocabulary
proposals,
 such as [2], which inspired I guess the design of the former SKOS
 mapping vocabulary.
 ISome more details: the text of [3] which we adopted as a resolution
for
 ISSUE-39 Conceptual mapping link [4,5] includes the following

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2007Dec/0033.html>),
 > should somehow "inherit" the semantics of these relations. With the
 > fundamental difference that mapping does not come with the same
 > confidence and authority status than established semantic
relations.
 > For instance, a mapping statement may not be endorsed by the
 > creator(s) of the concepts that are mapped.

 This goes against ISSUE-71 [1] proposing the following option as an
 possible alternative to keeping the parallel vocabulary for mapping:

 > use skos:broader, skos:narrower and skos:related for
 > mapping, providing guidance

 I strongly disagree with it! It was precisely the reaction *against*
 using skos:broader/related/narrower for mapping which made me go for
 using parallel mapping vocabulary [3] (I was against it at the
 begining). I don't want us to lose time having again the same
discussion!

 Notice that one of the reason for refusing to use the paradimatic
 broader/narrower/related also for mapping is linked to fundamental
 considerations related to norm and authority.
 On the one hand, creating paradigmatic relationships such as
 skos:broader statement results from the core activity of KOS design,
 which is supposed to imply e.g. certain soundness properties for the
 resulting semantic network. Mapping is a different activity, where
the
 aim is not to create a new coherent KOS but to bridge two KOS with
 relationships that may be of different qualitative and authoritative
level.
 My understanding is that the semantic commitment (with respect to the
 original intended meaning of the linked concepts) is much stronger
when
 skos:broader than when using skos:broadMatch.
 I would consider that this typically happens because a mapping link
 between two schemes can be motivated by an application that has
 requirements which are completely different from each of the ones
that
 guided the design of each mapped scheme.

 This is completely different from the assumption Alistair presents in
[6]:

 > the current SKOS Reference WD assumes that
 > the main reason for having a "parallel" vocabularies for
 > broader/narrower/related is to provide a convenient mechanism for
 > distinguishing links between concepts within the *same* scheme from
 > links between concepts in *different* schemes.

 This is actually why in the Primer [7] we have allowed for the use of
 skos:broader *between* concept schemes and the use of skos:broadMatch
 *within* concept schemes. Because these relations are of different
 (epistemological??) level!

 Following this discussion, I would therefore make the following
proposal
 to OPEN ISSUE-74 MappingPropertyConventions and consider to CLOSE it
 with the following proposal:

 RESOLUTION: Even though it is acknowledged that SKOS semantic
relation
 properties will, in most applications, link conceptual resources that
 stand within a same scheme, nothing in the SKOS model prevents their
use
 for concepts from different schemes. Similarly, even though it is
 acknowledged that SKOS mapping relation properties will, in most
 applications, link conceptual resources coming from different concept
 schemes, nothing in the SKOS model prevents their use for concepts
that
 stand within a same scheme.

 Best,

 Antoine

 [1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/71
 [2] http://jodi.tamu.edu/Articles/v01/i08/Doerr/
 [3]

http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/ConceptualMapping/ProposalTwo?a
ction=recall&rev=5
 [4] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/39
 [5] http://www.w3.org/2007/12/18-swd-minutes#item02
 [7] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/DraftPrimer

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2008Feb/0060.html

 > ----
 > [ISSUE-74] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/74
 > MappingPropertyConventions (RAISED)
 > [ISSUE-71] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/71
 > ParallelMappingVocabulary (RAISED)
 >
 > Quick fix? No.
 >
 > [ISSUE-74] asks, what are the usage conventions for SKOS mapping
 > properties and SKOS semantic relation properties? [ISSUE-71] asks,
do we
 > need the properties skos:broadMatch, skos:narrowMatch and
 > skos:relatedMatch at all?
 >
 > These two issues go right to the heart of recommended usage for
SKOS
 > semantic relation and mapping properties. They are intimately
related,
 > as usage conventions for mapping properties depend on vocabulary
 > available, and vice versa. I suggest we open these ASAP, to give
time
 > for preparation and due consideration of alternatives.
 >
 > To give a little background, the current SKOS Reference WD assumes
that
 > the main reason for having a "parallel" vocabularies for
 > broader/narrower/related is to provide a convenient mechanism for
 > distinguishing links between concepts within the *same* scheme from
 > links between concepts in *different* schemes. This utility
obviously
 > depends on certain usage conventions being followed, i.e. that
 > skos:broader, skos:narrower and skos:related are *only* used to
link
 > concepts in the same scheme, and that skos:broadMatch,
skos:narrowMatch