Re: SKOS queries

Hi Antoine,

Obviously, it's most of the time possible to separate the different
concepts in different ConceptScheme but this is not always possible if
you want to create a domain independent organisation system. Although
skos:Concept are not just words their interpretation by human will be
based on the terms defined as both prefLabel and altLabel.

My view of SKOS is to share dictionaries (or thesauri) across the web
using one formalism and also to create methodologies independent of the
  thesauri. If SKOS dictionaries are to successfully shared, there is to
have a proper semantic for how to create them in order to reduce some
linguistic problems such as ambiguities.

Regards,

Quentin

Antoine Isaac wrote:
> Hi Quentin,
>
> Well if you are within a single ConceptScheme the elementary good
> practice is to create 3 concepts with prefLabel that are unique! No
> mystery: if you've put crap data in it, you'll get crap data out of it...
> Notice then that nothing pevents you (until now) to put a shared
> altLabel, hence having some way to retrieve this "ambiguity".
>
> Notice that this is coherent with SKOS approach of concept modelling:
> skos:Concept are, well, concepts (unit of thoughts, senses, whatever)
> and not bare words.
>
> Cheer,
>
> Antoine
>> Hi Antoine,
>>
>> By ambiguity I mean terms that have multiple sense. For example, the
>> term group either means:
>> 1. any number of entities (members) considered as a unit.
>> 2. (chemistry) two or more atoms bound together as a single unit and
>> forming part of a molecule.
>> 3. a set that is closed, associative, has an identity element and
>> every element has an inverse.
>>
>> Obviously, a skos concept can be created for each one with and ID
>> associated. However, querying the thesaurus might pose problems as the
>> user could have 3 concepts when querying for prefLabel or altLabel.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Quentin
>>
>> Antoine Isaac wrote:
>>> Hi Quentin,
>>>
>>> I won't answer on transitivity, I think I agree with Sean.
>>> For the second point your feedback is much appreciated! Thanks for
>>> the reading and reacting effort.
>>> And for the last point, if by "ambiguity" you mean "mapping", then
>>> yes, we will work on that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Antoine

* Quentin H. Reul                        *
* PhD Research Student                   *
* Department of Computing Science        *
* University of Aberdeen, King's College *
* Room 238 in the Meston Building        *
* ABERDEEN AB24 3UE                      *
* Phone: +44 (0)1224 27 4485             *
* http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~qreul       *