Re: SKOS/ synonym provenance (ISSUE-27 AnnotationOnLabel)

Hi Jon,

The first solution in [1] seems to consider skos:Term and skos:Label as
equivalent. Therefore, I was wondering if the addition of
skos:relatedLabel allowing different relations between labels to be
defined (e.g. abbreviation, acronym) would not be sufficient.

Cheers,

Quentin

[1]http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RelationshipsBetweenLabels

Jon Phipps wrote:

> Al,
>
> I'd like to suggest in the light of further discussion that we
> reconsider Guus's Simple Extension Proposal[1]. Perhaps if we were able
> to declare skos:prefLabel as having an owl:equivalentProperty
> relationship to the rdfs:label property of a skos prefTerm, then this
> would allow us to effectively join a 'term' graph to a concept by
> asserting a typed relationship without impacting the current semantics
> of prefLabel. I think this might be far more effective than simply
> allowing a resource to be the object of a skos:label property.
>
> I believe that Antoine had drawn this pattern on a notepad at the f2f
> but it didn't provoke much discussion. As I recall the main objections
> to Guus's proposal had to do with problems with the overloading of
> 'term' and the fact that it's subject to rather broad interpretation.
> Perhaps rather than simply rejecting the proposal, we could see if we
> can't adjust the naming to be more acceptable wrt to the apparent
> ambiguity of the term 'term' -- prefLexicalTerm perhaps.
>
> Personally I'm far more comfortable allowing the joining of a term to a
> concept to both maintain and allow relationships between terms that
> can't be effectively expressed with the more generalizable conceptual
> relationships supported by skos than I am with the currently supported
> solution. It seems to me that there are far too many instances where
> publishing a concept using skos involves enough of a loss of useful data
> that it would present a barrier to acceptance of skos.
>
> --Jon
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007May/0057.html
>
> On Nov 20, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Miles, AJ ((Alistair)) wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just wanted to connect this discussion up with ISSUE-27
>> AnnotationOnLabel [1] -- we should bring that issue up the agenda and
>> discuss asap.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Al.
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/27
>>
>> --
>> Alistair Miles
>> Research Associate
>> Science and Technology Facilities Council
>> Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
>> Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
>> Didcot
>> Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
>> United Kingdom
>> Web: http://purl.org/net/aliman
>> Email: a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
>> Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440

* Quentin H. Reul                        *
* PhD Research Student                   *
* Department of Computing Science        *
* University of Aberdeen, King's College *
* Room 238 in the Meston Building        *
* ABERDEEN AB24 3UE                      *
* Phone: +44 (0)1224 27 4485             *
* http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~qreul       *