Re: [SKOS] structuring f2f discussion

From: Jon Phipps <jphipps@madcreek.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:26:41 -0500
To: "Antoine Isaac" <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Cc: "Alistair Miles" <a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk>, "SWD WG" <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Antoine, Alistair,

> I would add that we will have to sort out the other types of
> requirements, that is the ones that do not concern only the
> representation constructs offered by SKOS. They are quite diverse, some
> of them only vague design goals that we might not keep in the end...

The OWL Requirements doc that we're using as a somewhat loose exemplar
contains a "Goals" section [1], in addition to a "Use Cases" section,
that is referenced by quite a few of the requirements:

 "Design goals describe general motivations for the language that do
not necessarily result from any single use case. Along with the Use
Cases, these motivate the Requirements and Objectives in Sections 4
and 5. In this section, we describe eight design goals for the web
ontology language..."

It might be useful to try to identify some of the design goals of SKOS
and its support for common patterns of thesaural representation,
independent of actual use cases, in order to provide a foundation for
additional requirements not raised by the use cases.

Does some version of a list of design goals for SKOS already exist, or
might this be a good topic for further discussion at the F2F.

--Jon

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/#section-goals