Re: [SKOS] Proposed Resolution for ISSUE 26: RelationshipBetweenLabels

Hi Jon,

>> My proposal is based on the assumption that the
>> vast majority of thesauri will not have label
>> relations, and therefore I wish not to have the
>> burden of terms as classes on them. But I'm happy
>> to be convinced my assumption is wrong.
>

> Given the use cases and motivation cited in [2], most of the
> relationships defined in the motivation seem to represent
> relationships between concepts rather than between labels, so in that
> case I'm inclined to agree.

I'm quite puzzled here. For me things like synonymy and abbreviation are
clearly at the lexical or terminological level, not at the conceptual
one. If I have "car" and "automobile" I would like have just one concept
for them, and not two that I would declare equivalent afterwards....

> The one area where I think label relationships will very frequently be
> required will be multilingual relationships between labels other than
> prefLabel (assuming we let prefLabel keep its singularity). There
> isn't a good way to declare relationships between multiple
> translations of any label-related statement, but especially altLabels,
> whose object is a literal. This might unfortunately also be true of
> notes as well, but probably less of less importance.
>
> One other possible solution might be to recommend (not require) that
> in the sole case of a need to maintain multilingual versions of a
> concept and all of its literal properties, that concept schemes be
> considered single language and provide for this purpose an
> isTranslationOf relationship (or some other form of typed equivalence)
> between concepts?

This could do the trick, but I'm convinced we have enough multi lingual
cases (and too small a number of explicit label translation cases) to
say this would be counter-productive. All things considered, I actually
would prefer to have to encode the translation links using whatever
complex annotation alternative than to have to split concept schemes
into more-or-less duplicate versions (and God knows I am not personnally fond of
this annotation solution ;-)

Cheers,

Antoine